---Chapter 27

∞Kaitra∞

                I spring from the bed towards the wash basin and nearly trip over my own legs in the process.  While I dunk my whole face in the lukewarm water, three voices swirl around me. 

                “Should you change?”

“Where do you want me to go?”

“What on earth are we going to do?”

I grab the towel Calanthe holds out and scrub my face raw and dry, so the redness is uniform.  “Not going to change: this is an army meeting; you, Traugott, go make yourself look like we beat you; and, all of you, follow my lead.  I need your trust.”

Maxen grasps my hand, “You have it, to the full and overflowing, dearest Lady Kaitra.”

My scrubbed cheeks do not betray my blush, thankfully, so I merely nod and smile.  “We must make haste.  Calanthe, Maxen, grab any weapon you can find.  Calanthe, drag Traugott on a rope.  Look sharp, look furious, and look mean.”

In moments Traugott is covered in mud and tied and stumbling behind Calanthe, who pulls him like a disobedient dog.  I grip the large hilt of the sword I found in the closet and stride forward like I own the place, because now I suppose I do, at least in theory.  Elves and Granzians alike part as peppered water just doused with dish soap.  Once in the village commons, I raise my hand for silence. 

“The prisoner will lie on the platform.”

Again, crowds part to allow Calanthe to kick Traugott up onto the rough wood.  He moans pitifully, and I can only hope he acts. 

I turn to those gathered.  “Cyneric?  We must make haste.”

He bows deeply, “Your plan, Madame?  We wait anxiously for your wisdom.”

I scramble together an elaborate scheme in the time it takes to sneeze heartily.  “Cadfael and Carys plan to meld into the hills and come down upon us from all sides.  We must set up contingents in houses at the edges of town, with arrows, many arrows, and pick them off as they come, for they expect to take us by surprise in the center of Rite.  Cyneric!  I need you and your valiant men in homes along this main street.  Master Maxen will lure Cadfael and Carys to the plaza right outside these doors.  At his sign,” here, I pretend to stroke a beard, “you will jump upon them and lay them waste.”

“Excellent, your majesty, brilliant,” Cyneric sneers.  “And you, you will retire to your palace, under my best men’s protection, along with Master Maxen.  I believe Calanthe, with your humble permission, will be a better decoy here, in the street.”

I breathe slowly, trying to keep the color in my cheeks and the resolve in my heart.  “Most certainly, Honorable Cyneric.”

“To a new Yuragwyn!” Calanthe cries out, brandishing her bow. 

I turn to her and Maxen for just a moment while the crowd celebrates, and we share a look of horror.  Cyneric touches my arm, mine and Maxen’s, and escorts us forcibly under heavy guard back to the house- prison.  Once inside, a deadbolt slides none too softly across the front door. 

₰Traugott₰

                I watch the happenings below me with dread, for, contrary to Kaitra’s knowledge, she had actually guessed her parents’ plans and had set up a deadly defense.  If only I could fade into the mahogany walls and slip away, perhaps to warn them.  If they would listen, only this time, maybe the massacre soon to be could be avoided. 

                “Traugott, Traugott, Traugott,” Cyneric says coldly, menacingly.  “What shall I do with Lord Cadfael’s favorite?”