---Chapter 13

∞Kaitra∞

                We pass along a week of lazy days, doing nothing but roam the halls of the manor and the streets of Cordina, pacing, waiting for Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys to return with Calanthe, Briallen, and Traugott. 

                I have yet to decide how exactly I will react to Traugott when he returns.  Hiltraud tells me he was not aware that I knew naught of what was going on or where I was, but a few of his actions still are not fully explained away.  Why would he continue and continue to push me, pressure me, stand near me, as if he felt some connection to me?  He never gave me the room to stay stagnant, mired in my confusion, to wrap my mind around the idea slowly.  He was so urgent in everything he said and did. 

                “Kaitra,” Honorable Urien calls. 

                I scramble off my bed and out to the landing, smoothing my dress as I go.  He stands at the bottom of the stairs fully dressed in dark green pants, matching shirt, and thick brown boots. 

                His uniform.  

                “Kaitra, we cannot wait any longer.  Granziar is on the move in Bishat.  I must go confront them.  You are to stay here, with Eglantine, and await the arrival of your parents, my daughters, and Traugott.  Make sure they rest well before they think of joining us.”

                I nod my head and sweep down the stairs.  “Yes, Honorable Urien.  When do you leave?”

                “At daybreak.”

//•••//•••///•••\\\•••\\•••\\

                The packing and organizing and preparing of two units of men, women, centaurs, and pegasuses are overwhelmingly exhausting.  Honorable Urien’s eyes only become more haggard as the hour approaches.  I only hope these I send away will return safely, for their families’ sakes. 

                And then they march out in three long, long rows, down the street, through the gate, and on to the bloody haze of battle.  I stand on the balcony and watch until the very last centaur disappears over the horizon. 

                I am alone in the manor house with Eglantine.  She has been scarce all morning, but I’ve had little time to check up on her.  She spent much of yesterday evening just wandering around the grounds, taking in the hustle and bustle with a quiet perceptiveness.  Her eyes hold a wealth of knowledge far beyond her years.  There is an old soul in that wispy shell, one aged by hurt and loss. 

                I find her in my room, tracing the simple embroidery in the curtains.  She is beautiful there, in the light from the curtains which causes her hair to glow with the intensity of the stars during a new moon. 

                “Kaitra,” she whispers.  “What will happen to me?”

                I purse my lips and try to process her question.  “What do you mean?”

                “Will Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys send me away when they get back?  Will you send me away?” She asks, eyes turned intently upon me. 

                I shake my head, “No, you may stay here.”

                “But you don’t want me to.”

                “Why would you say that?” I ask. 

                Truthfully, I don’t really know if I want her here.  I have yet to decide if she has earned my trust, for every time I begin to accept her I remember waking to the glint of a blade in the firelight.