---Chapter 19

₰Traugott₰

                “Surely you are misunderstood,” I whisper, horrified.  “Hiltraud and Lady Kaitra were just there, and they returned no report of a stifling rebellion.”

                “Granziar sent little voices trained in persuasion to weave deception among them.  You must know that they feel rather distant from the rest of the country because of the mountains in between us.  Perhaps Granzians promised them more lavish lives, maybe their own sovereignty.  The reasons are not important though.  Honorable Urien, Lord Cadfael, they must be warned. 

                “And Traugott?  Stay in Cordina.  A price lies upon your head, for you have made it into the very stomach of Pan and come back.”

                Even while she is still speaking I rouse my mount and make ready to fly to the capital. “Please, make all haste to Honorable Urien in the mountains of Bishat.  He escorts precious cargo.”

                She nods in understanding, bows out of respect, and hurries away.  As she disappears behind the grasses in the distance I jab the pegasus in the sides and take to the night sky again. 

                The haze of morning in the far distance finds me high above the plains on a gray gelding, straining to get to Cordina before a Granzian archer finds me also.  It rises out of the rose in the sun, a concentrated stronghold surrounded by mostly vacated outcroppings of villages, in one of whom I must leave the beast in a trade of war. 

                The turf coming up under its hooves jolts me into full awareness of my surroundings.  I gently grasp its mane and guide it towards the watchtower, which braces itself before a bright and revealing morning sun.

                The trade done I run for the little gate in the north side of the wall, searching furtively for any enemy.  My sword is not nearly as long as an arrow. 

                “Traugott!” Lord Cadfael calls to me from the open gate.  “Traugott, come quickly!”

                His urgent tone puts fresh energy into my rather sore and half-asleep legs.  As I come up to the gate he turns and hands me the bridle of a flightless pegasus.  “Dust yourself off on the way.  We are required immediately in the castle.”

                I suppress my questions and ride behind him as we trot through the wakening streets.  I try my best to smile encouragingly at the passersby, but they can sense the tension in Lord Cadfael’s brow, and in such times his troubles easily involve us all. 

                Inside the castle, a page escorts us up to the very chambers of Master Hulderic.  Here we shuffle respectfully to the large bed on the far wall, in which the Master lies, coughing.  Lord Cadfael leans down to whisper in my ear, “His health fails rapidly.”

                I wrack my brain to remember who Master Hulderic had named for his succession.  Generally a much younger person is chosen, and kings reign for many years. 

                “He has yet to name his heir.”

                Lord Cadfael kneels respectfully by the Master’s bed, and I follow.  “Master Hulderic,” Lord Cadfael says, “I am here, as you requested, and a page from your towers spotted Traugott in the distance.  He is here as well.”

                “I have a good many things to tell you both.  Many things I would also like to share with Lady Kaitra,” he whispers, wheezing.