---Chapter 25

∞Kaitra∞

                Elves, silent and tall, gather to stare at us as we walk down the main street to the village and fall in behind us.  I quiver in my thin slippers, and brush Maxen’s hand with my own, even as I try to appear more relaxed and sure of myself.  I hear my name in hushed whispers, as well as my fabled title. 

                Once in the building, Maxen leads me to the platform, takes my pack, and slides the circlet out from between the fabric.  The metal glints in the sunlight, catching the eye- and the respect- of most of the gathered, who sit in a wave, front to back.  They look at us expectedly, and Maxen clears his throat. 

                “I request permission to bequeath the circlet upon the lady’s head,” He calls out to the elves. 

                They take a long moment to think, and I begin to worry if they will refuse.  Their eyes go from the circlet, to me, to my dress, and to their memories, where they recount the old prophesy.  Finally, an older elf, probably an elder of the people, stands.  “We give our consent, and our blessing, to the lady who bears the circlet.”

                The cool bronze touches my forehead, and, as one, the assembled stand, grip their left shoulders with their right hand, cross their feet, and drop their heads.  Crimson, I search for words worthy of such an honor: elves, the noblest of peoples, paying me homage.  “Please, friends, rise and sit.”

                Maxen smiles, pleased with my answer, and takes my hand gently.  It is rough, like Traugott’s, but it cups a warmth Traugott’s didn’t have, and my cheeks retain a bit of their color, both in remembering Traugott and thinking of Maxen.

                I gather my thoughts, “Citizens of Agleton, we come in peace: I, Calanthe daughter of Honorable Urien, and Maxen of Templar.”  Many heads nod towards him, and I remember him mentioning he spent time here as well.  “We come asking for your friendship.  Here we stand, a Daughter of Yuragwyn by prophesy, a daughter of Yuragwyn by blood, and a son of Yuragwyn by soul, sisters and brothers of yours.  I come also seeking my roots, for my mother, the beloved Lady Carys, is half elvish.” 

                A murmur ripples through the crowd as they contemplate my words and all hidden behind them.  A woman stands and says, “Lady Kaitra, we know you do not seek tales of your histories and simple conversation, for one would not stand to travel so far for such meager pleasantries.  But these words I will share with you, for a history is in order, the history of you and what you will become.”

₰Traugott₰

                The path is narrow, winding, and un-level, and before long the pegasus I ride is unable to keep up.  Furious at everything and nearly purple with rage, I jump off and tie the pegasus to a strong root with a pile of food.  Lord Cadfael will pick her up when he passes this way, but I cannot wait.  Every moment is precious. 

                Running down the trail is frustratingly slow, because twisting an ankle would do none of us any good.  I only hope this road will get me to Rite and to Kaitra and Calanthe, before it’s too late.

∞Kaitra∞

                “Here, we are not unfamiliar with you, your past, or your prophesied future.  We elves are more interconnected with you, Lady Kaitra, maiden of the circlet, than a quarter of your blood.  The prophesy of you was writ in this very room by my great-great grandfather- the last elf to be crowned Master of Yuragwyn.  If any longed for your coming, they were we.  We hold you, and your calling, in highest esteem.