---Chapter 22

₰Traugott₰

                Aside from a small skirmish at the forest line near the pond truncating the River Rapha, we crawl under the shadow of the feared Agleton mountains unchallenged.  The sun burns through the tips and into our eyes as Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys and I step onto the loose dirt path. 

                “Traugott, come ride next to me,” Lady Carys beckons, sliding behind her husband, for only two can ride abreast. 

                She takes my hand and clasps it gently.  “This year has been unusual for you, Traugott, unusual and rather stressful.  Unfortunate circumstances have followed you doggedly and framed you unfairly.  I was not there, but I know this to be true, for I have watched you become a man.” 

                I watch her pegasus strain at the steep slope but cannot bear to face her. 

                “Traugott- look at me.” 

                The world becomes a bit bleary as I peer up into her shining face.  Her braid is askew, and her face has a smudge or two of dirt, but every fiber of her exudes the gentle lady of the castle that she is. 

                She begins again, “Don’t let the past grind at you, dear one.  Enion, and Briallen, and your parents, would want to you be happy.  One day, once things have settled down, Kaitra will let down her walls and accept your friendship.  You have done better, Traugott, than we hoped, than we could have asked.”

                I cannot bring to syllables the swirling thoughts in my heart and instead clasp her hand more tightly. 

∞Kaitra∞

                The darkness cloaks the streets even as we make our way up them with swishing skirts and snapping starched shirts and hair scattering a damply over our shoulders.  It is still a bit odd to me when we stroll into the castle of the Master like we were asking a schoolmate for the math assignment from yesterday.  Does he not require the pomp and circumstance of kings in the other world?  Why does he not demand it of me, a girl brazened to the delicate customs of this country, who has snubbed her parents, her friends, and even him? 

                We knock at the stable door- a secret entrance of sorts, I suppose- but instead of a servant, Madame Rhiannon herself loosens the bolts and bids us enter.  We three bow deeply, cheeks inflamed, before scraping our boots and slippers on the outer stoop and crossing the threshold. 

                “Madame, pardon our untimely , unannounced intrusion please.  If we had known we would disturb you, we would have not come,” I explained, rushed, and already turning to go out again. 

                “No, Kaitra,” Madame Rhiannon says, her hand touching my shoulder lightly.  “We have been waiting for you, all of you.  Master lies in his chambers.  Please come speak with him, for the days are short and the hours wane.”

                Calanthe nods at me to follow Madame, and I tiptoe behind her, feeling rather small in the long, large halls.  We are to go into the very chambers of the master!  If only they knew my shortcomings, the hateful thoughts I have hurled towards those they love and the country they rule, surely they would draw the dagger themselves to send me back, never to return. 

                The doors open, and Madame takes my hand and leads me to Master Hulderic’s bedside.  I can but kneel in his presence. 

                “You come with great timidity and guilt, dear one,” Master Hulderic says, eyes still closed. 

                I feel Calanthe and Maxen kneel beside me and grip Calanthe’s arm for support.  “I am not the brave, sure Daughter your country deserves.”