---Chapter 5

∞Kaitra∞

I am admitted into the presence of Master Hulderic, the very man who sent me away to Granziar in the beginning. The sight of him boils my blood and calms my nerves. Do I thank goodness that I can see him again? Do I blame him for the whole mess? I have half a mind to stomp right back out across the Yaywah to the forest and go home, but one look at his calm, expectant face tells me I must stay. How I wish this could be a dream.

I try to remember the traditional Yuragwynian bow, but I'm fairly sure I failed miserably. Ashamed at not being able to mimic even the simplest of gestures here, I straighten quickly and take my seat. I steel myself for a harsh correction or a guard to throw me out for disrespect. To my surprise, he merely smiles at me, his eyes inquisitive.

"Lady Kaitra! You have returned! But where are the others? How did things fare?"

I clear my throat and rack my brain for how to begin this tale, "We left you and Cordina and encountered only minimal trouble at the River Rapha. Our hike across the plain was interrupted by Granzians bent on capturing us, and we had to split up for a day or two, but we soon found each other in good health and continued our flight from our pursuers."

But what am I saying? We endured horrible hardships, near-death experiences. Does he not need to know of these as well? He caused us all this trouble! I should tell him that I nearly drowned, that we narrowly escaped becoming Granzian pincushions. He should know there were days I cannot even remember because of the pain and fatigue.

I continue, as if outside of myself: "We traversed Abyss slowly, for the mud rose almost to the crest of our boots, but we met a friend of Traugott's and made it safely to Entel. We stayed there long enough to bathe and rest a night before Granzian soldiers, well on our heels, were spotted in the mires just beyond Entel's walls. We retreated to a small vessel with two pegasuses and put out for Northern Isle. The passage was quiet. We soon made it to Northern Isle and traded our clothing for Granzian wear."

Quiet, of course, with the exception of nearly drowning in the gale and having to sleep cramped with those pegasuses in the little shack aboard the craft. Not to mention the mud attempting to suck us under before we even made it to Entel. It is a wonder no one caught cold.

"In Granziar, we masqueraded as two sets of siblings under false guises and managed to secure servant positions in the palace. Things were going unbelievably well; the guards and other servants didn't give us a second thought. When I was in the kitchen, though, I severely burned the undersides of both my upper arms. They gave me poultices and sent me to rest. This didn't affect our plan, though. Calanthe was in the laundry, soaking in palace gossip. Traugott was training with the Granzian soldiers. Briallen was in the stables. We had spoken previously on how best to strike, but Briallen's move to poison the pegasuses was a bit hasty, and, combined with a letter the king received, enough evidence was brought before the Granzians to suspect us."

Words tumble out of my mouth faster than I can process them. My tongue is making light of the situation, but my brain is powerless to shush it. Most likely, Briallen knew exactly what she was doing. Who is to say her discovery wasn't intentional? Her hatred for Traugott might indeed be so great as to sacrifice herself to bring him down.

"They threw us in their dungeon and left us there for three or four days, maybe more. We lived in fear, gritting our teeth against the guards' sharp kicks and rough knuckles. Finally, they let us up for a quick walk around the courtyard. In that courtyard, I found a few white oak leaves. I had managed to keep my dagger with me through the capture and imprisonment, and I soon left for home."