Prologue Continued

Ezra winced in pain as he looked down at his hand. Living on the streets he had gotten quite a few injuries, but never were quite as painful as this. He examined the mark the blaster had left. It would take an extremely long time for it to go away, that, or it would be permanent.

Ezra looked up at the stormtroopers coming his way. For the briefest moment he had forgotten that they were even there. He looked behind. He was trapped. Any attempt to escape by climbing up to the roofs was now ruined thanks to his now injured hand. And if he tried to run, there was the chance they would just shoot at him.

Before he could make any decision the troopers grabbed him by the shoulders and started to drag him away.

"This is him alright," one of them said.

After hearing that, Ezra began to resist and wiggle his way out of their grip. "What do you want with me?!"

The stormtrooper let out a sigh. "The Empire can't have people like you running around the galaxy. Now, be quiet kid!"

Ezra furrowed his eyebrows unsure of what to think. What did they mean? Had he ever done anything to upset the Empire? "People like me?" Ezra mumbled.

"People who spread what they call 'hope' across the galaxy," the stormtrooper replied. "People like your parents!"

Ezra immediately stopped resisting their hold and began to zone out. His parents? Were they really still out there?

"And good riddance to them," the other stormtrooper piped in. "I doubt they'll survive more than a month."

Ezra looked with frightened eyes. What were they talking about? "What?"

The stormtrooper let out a chuckle. "They've been taken off-world, kid. That'll probably be your fate as well."

Ezra became furious at the stormtroopers and at the Empire. He had so much hope that his parents were still alive, and still out there, but from what he just heard, soon they'd die. He wasn't sure where they were taken, but he could only assume it was one of those horrible labor camps where people became slaves to the Empire, and their lives became nothing but work.

Ezra began to weep more than he could ever remember. He was unsure of what to make of what was happening. Where would the Empire take him, and what would they do with him?

The two stormtroopers were clearly unhappy with Ezra's sudden outburst of emotions. They told him to stop and dragged him towards their destination.

"Let him go!" a voice called out from behind him.

Ezra turned around. It was the woman he met earlier who owned that grumpy astromech droid. What was she doing here?

One of the stormtroopers lifted their blaster up. "And what makes you think you have the right to order us around?"

"And what makes you think you have the right to take away innocent children," Hera replied as calmly possible. Though no one else could see her do it, underneath her cloak she tightened her grip on her blaster. She didn't want to use it, but if she had too. . .

Ezra glanced back and forth as the two spoke. He noticed the stormtrooper was now hardly holding him. He took the opportunity to free himself and dash off.

Almost immediately, the stormtroopers began to follow him, with Hera now close behind. Ezra just wanted to be left alone. Why did the Empire want him so bad? He tried to make his way through the streets, but there were stormtroopers everywhere. There was no where to go, and once again he was cornered. He turned around. "Just leave me alone!"

Ezra's heart was racing and his mind was swarming with so many thoughts. Most of them focused on his parents. "Just go away!" Ezra shouted. He closed his eyes and felt a rush of energy within himself. He had never felt anything like it before, but he wasn't afraid. It almost felt right.

Ezra opens his eyes again and saw the two stormtroopers now laying on the ground. They held their heads in both pain and confusion. Ezra looked down at his hands. Did he do that? How?

He looked up and saw Hera staring with wide eyes. He couldn't tell if she was afraid or in awe. Perhaps she was both.

One of the stormtroops began to sit up. "Get him! We need him alive!"

Ezra stood frozen.

"Ezra, run!" Hera shouted. She pulled her blaster out for protection. "I'm right behind you!"

Ezra snapped out of it and ran off as quickly as he could. This time he was more careful to avoid any attention from the Empire. After what felt like an entirety of running, Hera caught up to him.

She glanced around, they were safe. For now. Ezra," she said kneeling down. "We need to get you somewhere safe."

Ezra looked down. She was probably right. He had never seen so many Imperials in one day, but why? "Why do they want me?"

Hera sighed. She had no idea why the Empire originally wanted Ezra, but she had an idea of why they might want him now. She hadn't seen many Jedi in her life, but she did grow up during the Clone Wars. A time when Jedi were spread across the galaxy and acted as peacekeepers. She was no expert on what a Jedi's powers were, but what Ezra had just done back there, she was sure he had those powers. The Empire slaughtered Jedi. She would not let Ezra suffer the same fate. "Ezra, I think there's something about you the Empire is afraid of. It's not safe for you here."

Ezra looked at her, both confused and terrified. Would he really just leave Lothal? It was his home, it was were he felt comfortable, it was were things were familiar. But now that his parents were gone, was it really still home? "What will happen to me if I go?"

"If you come, I will do everything I can to protect you and take care of you." Hera felt herself become pale. Normally she thought things out, but this was one circumstance she had little control, but was she really ready to take on this child and raise him? Her life had become mission after mission in attempts to defeat the Empire. There were times were she couldn't afford to eat for days. And she was only nineteen, could she really be what this child needed. Maybe not, but there was no way she could just leave this child to die in the Empire's hands. "Ezra, I'm not forcing you to come. This is your choice."

Ezra looked down. He didn't really know what choice to make. Everything felt hopeless and confusing at the moment, but something inside him told him to go. "I'll come, but can you help me find my parents?"

"Of course," Hera replied. "Whenever we find the moment, I promise I'll help you look for your parents. Now, let's go. Follow me."

Ezra nodded. Hera gave Ezra her cloak for protection from the cold and also for the sake of hoping he wouldn't be recognized.

They were both quiet on the way to the Ghost, as both had much on their minds. The future was uncertain, but they would have to face it. No matter what happened.