Chapter 3

"There it is," Ezra announced. Ezra went up to the Ghost and lowered the ramp. "Home sweet home."

Kanan examined the freighter in front of him. It wasn't what he expected, but it was a very nice ship.

Ezra's pet Loth-Cat came running down the ramp and greeted Ezra happily. She sniffed to see if Ezra brought any food, and when she realized he didn't, she meowed and decided to investigate the stranger instead.

"Uh, there's something you should know," Ezra began. "My, uh, mom, she doesn't know I went out. I was hoping to get back before she did, and it looks like I did, but now that you're here I'll have some explaining to do," he finished. Ezra had never really called Hera mom before. In ways she was like a mother figure, but just calling her mom made the situation easier.

"I'm sure she won't get too angry with you. She'll probably just be happy you're safe," Kanan said. He put his hand out for the Loth-Cat to sniff. She seemed to approve of him and layed against his feet.

Ezra and Kanan walked up the ramp. They stayed in the cargo hold, Ezra thought that would be best. He knew Hera wouldn't want a stranger waking around her ship.

"Where are you from?" Ezra asked in an attempt to interrupt the awkward silence.

"I've lived on a lot of planets," Kanan begun. He knew the closet answer to the truth was ' The Jedi Temple' on Coruscant, but be couldn't exactly say that. "I don't really have a place that feels like home."

Ezra nodded acknowledging Kanan's answer and went to pet his Loth-Cat, but she perked up her head and went running outside instead. Ezra figured that meant Hera was very close. His guess was proven correct when he heard Hera's voice distantly.

"Yes, I'm back! Here you go!" she said to the Loth-Cat. She reached into her bag and tossed some bread. Probably not the best thing for a Cat to eat, but it was what she had.

Ezra made his way to the ramp and Kanan followed curiously. That voice sounded familiar. Ezra motioned for Kanan to stay put and he walked up to Hera.

Hera smiled despite feeling exhausted. "Hi! Sorry I'm back so late. Things took a little longer than I hoped, but at least we have some food and credits! How were things here?"

Ezra rubbed his shoulder nervously. "Well, about that. . .I kind of ventured off because-"

"Wait, who's this?" Hera interrupted noticing Kanan. It took her a moment, but she recognized him as the man from the diner. Judging his facial expression, he must of recognized her too. "What's he doing here?"

Ezra sighed. "I left the Ghost because I got this feeling I couldn't ignore," Ezra paused and waited to see her reaction. He hoped she understood that by 'feeling' he really meant it felt as if the force was calling him. When she didn't seem to object or appear to be upset he continued, "so I went into town, but I didn't really find anything. Chopper kind of knocked off this basket of fruit, and then the Empire got involved, but he, uh Kanan, helped me out off that mess. He's here because he just wanted to make sure I got home safely."

Hera looked at Ezra and sighed. "It's okay Ezra. Next time just let me know when you want to go into town. Okay?"

Ezra nodded.

Hera then turned to Kanan. "Thank you for helping Ezra. I appreciate and I'm sure he does to."

"You're welcome," Kanan responded. "It's not his fault. This Empire can be a little overbearing sometimes."

"Yes they can," Hera replied. She handed her bag to Ezra. "Why don't you take this to the galley and find something to eat?"

"Okay," Ezra said taking the bag. "Oh, bye Kanan! Thank you again!" He smiled and headed off .

Kanan waved goodbye to the kid and looked back at Hera. 

Hera folded her arms. "Thank you again, Kanan, wasn't it?"

"Yup, and it's no problem. I didn't want to see him get into that much trouble over some fruit," he replied. Kanan was about to start leaving but then he remembered one of the reasons he even came. He wasn't even sure how to bring up this topic. Ever since the Empire took over people didn't go around talking about Jedi or the force.

As much as he tried to bring it up, he couldn't. He didn't feel safe talking about anything from his past. "Well, I better get going."

"See you around, Kanan," Hera replied.

Kanan followed Hera as she lead him down the ramp and back outside. He hoped he'd see her again, even if it was highly unlikely that he would. He stared into her eyes for a moment and found himself feeling at peace. He almost didn't want to leave.

Hera waved goodbye and closed the ramp. Kanan watched her disappear and walked back into the city.

Hera joined Ezra in the galley. She picked up a plate of food Ezra had prepared and then joined him at the table. "So, what exactly happened in the city?"

Ezra sighed and picked at what food he hasn't eaten yet. "You know how sometimes I see things before they happen, or when I feel like the force is trying to tell me something?"

Hera nodded.

"Well, I got one of those feelings, so I ventured off into the city with Chopper. He accidentally knocked over some inventory and the owner made a big deal out of it. He accused me of stealing it," Ezra explained. "Anyways, some Stormtroopers got involved but Kanan ended up kind of talked them into thinking it was too much effort."

"I'm just glad he was there to help out," Hera responded. "Do you feel like your powers have grown?"

Ezra shrugged. "I don't know. It's hard to tell. I mean, I wish I understood my powers better," he finished in a mumble.

"I'm sorry I can't help you," Hera said. "I'm afraid my knowledge about the force is very limited and I'm no Jedi myself."

"It's not your fault." Ezra finished up his meal and went off to his room.

Hera looked down at the Loth-Cat who was begging for food. She didn't know what to do about Ezra's abilities, but she got the feeling if they didn't figure out something soon things would get worse for Ezra. Not only that, she didn't want him to never achieve his potential.

Hera sighed and went to her own room. She picked up her datapad and looked for any messages. She raised her eyebrow. It seemed Fulcrum found a mission for them here after all. She read through the details, it seemed simple enough. Hera wrote a reply accepting the mission and climbed into her bunk. Hundreds of thoughts raced through her head preventing her from being able to rest, but finally she closed her eyes and fell asleep.