Chapter 5

Hera set down three plates on the small table in the galley. The dinner was simple. It was what her and Ezra always had for dinner. Just some greens and a small amount of meat and rice. Nothing else. In fact, some nights it was less. She hoped Kanan didn't mind the plainness of the meal. 

She called out for Ezra who had still been in his room. Hera sat down at the table across from Kanan. She hated how awkward the silence was, but talking with Kanan wasn't easy for her. He was barely an acquaintance.

Hera folded her arms on the table and looked at Kanan. "So, um Kanan. Do you do anything other than working at the distribution center?"

Kanan took a sip of his drink and then put his cup down. "No, not really," he replied. Kanan in the moment did wish he did something else. He didn't want to come off as someone who was lazy with no life to live. "After today I don't I'll be working there any more, or any Imperial owned businesses for that matter."

"Do you have a trade?" Hera asked. "I mean, there's lots of good people out there in the galaxy who still need employees."

"I've worked various jobs, so I guess I do everything," Kanan said. He frowned. He had left so many places due to fear that his past might be discovered. So he ran. 

"Well, if I hear about anything, I'll let you know," Hera said with a smile. She took a sip of her drink as well. "Do you have a family?"

Kanan looked down. He didn't. He had no family at all.  No mother, no father, no siblings nothing. The Jedi were once his family, but they were gone. "It's just me," was all he said.

"Oh," she replied. She wondered why. He seemed like a nice enough person. He was handsome too she had to admit. She was also embarrassed to admit it though. She wasn't one for relationships or love. She was far too busy with trying to raise Ezra and help start a Rebellion.

Ezra walked in holding his Loth-Cat. He placed her on the ground and got her a small bowl of food. He then sat next to Hera. "Thank you for dinner," he said quietly. 

"You're welcome," Hera replied with a smile. She observed Ezra. He seemed better since today's events, but still sad. 

They all ate in silence. Other the sounds of their pet Loth-Cat who now began to beg for food. She whined and cried and made a big deal as if it was the end of the world. Ezra rolled his eyes and handed her a small piece of meat. He pet her head and returned to eating.

"How long are you staying with us?" Ezra asked Kanan. He waited for an answer patiently. 

"Probably not long. Hera told me she'd take me home after we ate," Kanan answered. He set his fork down, now finished with his meal.

Ezra poked at his food. "Maybe, you could stay longer?"

Kanan shook his head. "No, I'm sorry. I don't want to get in you or your mother's way," Kanan replied. "I have things to do, and I'm sure you do as well."

"Maybe you could help us with the crates tomorrow!" Ezra suggested. "We need to drop them off to uh, our contact."

Hera watched Ezra's eyes light up as he spoke. She could tell Ezra liked Kanan. Even if they hadn't known each other for very long. She wasn't exactly fond of the idea of Kanan coming along with them, but at the same time Ezra desperately needed something like this. Something new, something to make him forget about his uncontrollable powers. There was that, plus she was still curious about how Kanan knew so much about the Jedi.

Kanan sighed. "Look Ezra-"

"I'm alright with that," Hera interrupted. She looked at Ezra who seemed to be thrilled by her response. "I do have other things I'll need to drop off, and some help would be appreciated."

Kanan raised an eyebrow. "You sure?"

Hera nodded. "I'll pick you up in the morning, and when we're done I'll drop you off wherever you'd like."

Kanan sighed. "Alright. Why not?" He smiled and stood up. "Oh, and thank you for dinner."

"You're welcome," Hera replied. She stood up as well. "I'll meet you outside in a moment."

Kanan nodded and followed Chopper out.

Hera turned to Ezra. "You like Kanan. Don't you?"

Ezra nodded and then shrugged. "I mean, he's nice. I can sense he's not a bad person. I just feel like-"

Hera sat next to him. "Does he maybe fill a void for you in your life?"

"Void?" Ezra asked curiously.

Hera sighed. "Ezra, I've done my best to raise you, but I know that I haven't exactly filled the role of a father. You lost your parents at a young age. I can understand if maybe you feel like you need a father figure in your life."

"It's not that," Ezra replied looking down.

"Alright, what is it then?" Hera asked kindly. "You can talk to me about anything."

"I mean. . .maybe it's kind of that, but not exactly. I feel like maybe, just maybe, he might know a way to help me with my powers," Ezra said. "Or he might know things you don't about the Jedi, or knows peoples who do."

Hera smiled. "Okay. Well, I'll try talking to him tomorrow about it, and see what he knows."

Ezra smiled back. "Thank you."

Hera stood up again. "If I'm boring to be around, you don't need to lie to me," Hera joked. 

Ezra laughed. "No you're not boring."

Hera smiled. 

"Hera, thank you for everything," Ezra said. 

"You're welcome," Hera replied.