Rabbit Rabbit

I don't know how many of you know the tradition of saying "rabbit rabbit" to people on the first of the month. Supposedly, if you say it first, you steal the other person's good luck for the month. My friend and I are now in a 'war' to always be the first to say it to the other. (Obviously, I can't reveal my friend's name but I call her Duchess so that's what I'll refer to her as.)

Our war started on January 1, 2017. We were all out in the soccer field at my school to watch the fireworks and celebrate the New Year. When it finally became midnight, we all began saying "rabbit rabbit" to each other and I said it to Duchess before she could say it to me.

In the afternoon of the 1st, my family drove down to the coast. Duchess and her husband drove down a few days later. When they joined us, they told us that Duchess had lost her phone. They had looked everywhere but they couldn't find it. She suspected she had left it in a shopping mall. A month went by but they didn't find it and she had accepted the fact that it was lost.

February 1st was a Wednesday. Neither of us had said "rabbit rabbit" because neither of us had thought about it. Then, that afternoon, I was sitting in Duchess's office (she was the registrar at my school at the time) and she happened to see the date so she said "rabbit rabbit". We started discussing why people did that and I explained about the whole good luck thing. Then she said that the reason she had lost her phone was because I had stolen all her luck the month before. We started joking that, now that she had stolen my luck, she'd find her phone again. Then she said that it was impossible.

Two days later, on Friday, we were at vespers. I was sitting with Duchess and her husband. It was kinda dark but suddenly, he leans forward and reaches for his camera case. When he sat up again, he was holding her phone in his hands. She had stuck it in the case and a flap had covered it so she didn't see it, even though I think she checked it multiple times. Now, I don't believe in this whole "good luck/bad luck" thing and I know that was just a coincidence but it was hilarious so it became our joke.

Ever after that, we've tried to be the first to say it during the month. She moved a few months later but our battle continued over email and WhatsApp. At first, I would always get her and she complained that it wasn't fair. I pointed out that she lives 5 hours ahead of me and wakes up before me so she has every advantage. Then she nearly always got me.

However, she and her husband arrived on campus today to visit. In other words, it was completely fair . . . and I got her. I had taken her into my room to show her the bookcase I made and she was sitting in the chair near it and I was sitting on the floor in front of it. I suddenly remembered and said "rabbit rabbit". My brother was there and commented on something. Then both he and Duchess said it to each other at the same time. It was really funny.

Anyway, our war shall continue in the later months and I'm just really happy that she's here right now.

Have a good day!

Bye!

Written February 1, 2019.