one.

one.

"How could you ever turn her down? There's not a drink that I think could sink her. How would I tell her that she's all I think about?" - Carolina by Harry Styles

River.

The financial crisis in my house was taking a toll on everyone. My mother or father would initiate pointless fights every single day; over things that didn't matter.

With a strut in my step I walk back into the job centre for the third time this month. The first time I was here I got the job as a librarian. I loved books, therefore thought I was perfect for the job. Thing was, I got kicked out because I was too good at it. 

Alright, fine. I ended up breaking their window... 

Twice.

They were quite an extravagant library, they could have afforded a new window in seconds. But I bet they kicked me out because of that little snake- okay, I should stop, people were starting to stare at me. The glare I was portraying obviously not coming across as natural as I wanted.

"Ms Matthews, pleasure as always." He says, eyes squinted as he breathed at the sight of me... again.

"Oh, please don't look so enthusiastic to see me, Louis." I smile.

I would say Louis was getting a little tired of me popping back into the job centre every other fortnight. 

He rolls his eyes but continues punching at the keyboard. "Come to find another job?" I nod. "Okay, well let me see what I can find."

An intense gaze was plastered on his face, whilst surfing through the software. His face would loosen, then tighten, and it seemed all those frown lines on his forehead were because of the stress I give him. 

"Well it looks as though there are no jobs within your expertise, I'm sorry Ms Matthews."

"Oh, that's alright. Will you let me know if anything pops up?" I ask him sweetly, trying to muster away the uprising disappointment I was feeling inside. He just nods and bids me on my way. "Alright see you later, Louis. Dinner at mine?" 

"Sure." He eventually gives in and smiles.

Louis was my best friend. My parents loved him and I'm sure they've already planned our non-existent wedding in their heads.

I make my way down the cold roads of London. A flyer tumbles towards me, diverting my attention drastically. There were old flyers everywhere encouraging people to apply for a job. I've tried it once, and apparently these flyers help everyone but me. They're always out of vacancies as soon as I try to call in. 

Whilst in the middle of a sulk, I see a new piece of paper stuck to a street lamp. With a large 'HELP WANTED" sign catching my eye. There were sure to be vacancies for this place. 

I stealthily, but swiftly, grab the piece of paper and read over it. 

The Styles family. In need of a maid. Two thousand five hundred pounds a month. 

This is exactly the kind of money I need. This is like a God sent gift. 

9:00 till 18:00, five days a week. 

Shoving the flyer in my handbag I rush home, in need to call the owner as soon as possible. Running in the cold, frosty air of England in heels and a pencil skirt wasn't a good idea.

As soon I step into the warm confinement of my home, I instantly hear the usual bickering between my mother and father. It was getting slightly distressing for myself, especially since I was the only one of my siblings to hear it day in and day out.