eight.

eight.

"I'm afraid soon there'll be no light..." - Planets of the Universe by Fleetwood Mac

River.

I look at the watch that was wrapped around my wrist to see the big hand only a minute away from the 12. I was one minute late, just one minute. But the gaze he was giving me was setting me on fire.

"But sir, it is only a minute after nine." I voice, timidly.

"I expect you to be here on time, and with the time I give you. Do you understand me?" He growls, causing me to jolt in my heels. "Or is it Niall to blame?" 

"N-no sir, it was just me." I reply, nervously, hoping that by taking the blame Niall wouldn't get threatened. Though they are best friends, so I don't see that happening. I partly blamed the enjoyable conversation I was having with Niall.

"Well, I guess, because it is your first day at a proper job, I will let it slide. But don't do it again." I sigh in relief, as I try to discard the feeling of embarrassment that came from him highlighting this being my first proper job.

"Thank you, sir, it won't happen again." I phonate a little too enthusiastically.

"I hope it doesn't." He mutters to himself as he divulges himself back to work.

I just stand awkwardly, twiddling at my fingers standing in front of his door. He seems to notice as he looks up from whatever he is doing. He waits for me to say something, but I stay silent. 

"Are you going to sit or am I going to have to show you how to do that as well?" He grumbles, pointing to the desk to my left. It was larger than my makeup desk back at home, though it was definitely smaller than Harry's.

"No it's okay." I smile, while making my way towards the seat located behind the desk. It definitely did not look as comfy as Harry's chair but I know that I won't be sitting for the majority of my time here. 

"They're fixing up a room for you next door." He speaks, but I am too busy admiring the small space around me to reply straight away. "So you won't be in here for too long."

"Um, that's okay. It's nice in here too, thank you." I smile at him, to which he nods in reply. Harry didn't seem like the kind of guy to have many words as soon as compliments or kind gestures were thrown his way. 

Cute. As soon as the thought occured in my head I had to shake it away. My boss is not cute. Harry is not cute. He is mean and disrespectful.

"So Niall told me you guys are best friends." I try to start a conversation. My tactic right now was to get him to open up to me a little more, maybe that will fuel the kindness in him, or something. "It was kind of your parents to give him a job." 

"My parents didn't hire you to interrogate my personal life." He spits, while looking up from the sheet of paper he was holding. "Now if you would kindly shut your mouth while I deal with this manuscript." He then goes back to reading whatever he was reading, a pen in his other hand as he circled something on the paper. 

I roll my eyes at him. "Did you want me to do anything?" I ask.

He sighed a lot louder than normal as he slams the paper back on the desk. His hands were rubbing his temples, and I felt slightly bad. Slightly. "Just get out. Do something. Get me tea, and keep yourself busy until I have done this." He shoos me away.

I do exactly as he tells me, rushing out of the door to make him his tea. He was infuriating honestly, the fact that he couldn't put his pride aside for just a minute or two of kindness pissed me off to no end, but then again I didn't want to go back home. So I would rather put up with his sour attitude at work, than face my angry parents at home.