THE RAVEN BOYS P.3

While they waited, Ronan decided to finally take up the task of teaching Adam how to drive a stick shift. For several minutes, it seemed to be going well, as the BMW had an easy clutch, Ronan was brief and to the point with his instruction, and Adam was a quick study with no ego to get in the way.

Then- it had to happen eventually- Adam stalled the car. From the passenger seat, Ronan began to swear at Adam. It was a long, involved swear, using every forbidden word possible, often in compound-word form. As Adam stared at his lap, penitent, he mused that there was something musical about Ronan when he swore, a careful and loving precision to the way he fit the words together, a black-painted poetry. It was far less hateful sounding than when he didn't swear.

Ronan finished with, "For the love of... Parrish, take some care, this is not your mother's 1971 Honda Civic."

Adam lifted his head and said, "They didn't start making the Civic until '73."

There was a flash of fangs from the passenger seat, but before Ronan truly had time to strike, they both heard Gansey call...(ch. 25) (Adam POV)

[Blue stuck her head into the driver's side of the window] "Looks like it's going well. Is that what that smell is?"

Without replying, Ronan climbed out of the car and slammed the door. (ch. 25)

"What language is that?" Blue asked.

Adam and Ronan answered as one: "Latin." (ch. 25)

"I don't really care," Ronan said. He stroked Chainsaw's head with a single finger and she tilted her beak up in response. It was a strange moment in a strange evening, and if it had happened the day before, it would've struck Adam that he rarely saw such thoughtless kindness from Ronan. (ch. 29) (Adam POV)

The apartment felt oppressive without anyone else in the main room. Part of Adam wanted to lure Ronan out of his room for company, but most of him realized that Ronan was, in his unappealing and unspoken way, grieving for Noah. (Ch. 31) (Adam POV)

"Where's my brother?"

"Not here."

"Now you are lying."

Adam shrugged. "Yeah. I am."

Declan started past him, but Adam held out his arm, blocking the door. "Now's really not a good time. And Gansey said it wasn't a good idea for you two to talk without him around. I think he's right."

Adam knew only this: There was no way that Declan could speak to Ronan right now. Not if Ronan had been drinking, not if Declan was already angry. Without Gansey here, there was sure to be a fight. That was the only thing that was important. (ch. 31)

[Declan blames Gansey for Ronan getting kicked out] "Oh no," he said. He hoped Ronan was listening. "Ronan did that all by himself. I don't know when you both are going to see that only Ronan can keep himself in Aglionby. Some day, he has to pick for himself. Until then, you're both wasting your time." (ch. 31)

"He's moving out," Declan said. "Remind Gansey of that. No Aglionby, no Monmouth."

Then you've killed him, Adam thought, because he couldn't imagine Ronan living under a roof with his brother. He couldn't imagine Ronan living under a roof without Gansey, period. (ch. 31)

Both Adam and Blue looked up at the sound of footsteps crossing the floor towards them. It was Ronan, holding something under his arm. He cautiously lowered himself until he sat cross-legged beside Adam and then sighed heavily, as if he had been part of the conversation to this point and it tired him. Blue was equal parts relieved and disappointed at his presence effectively ending any more talk about kissing.

"Do you want to hold her?" Ronan asked. (ch. 32) (Blue POV)

"She wants you again," Blue said, because it was clear that she did. Ronan accepted the bird and stroked the feathers on the back of her head.

"You look like a super villain with your familiar," Adam said.

Ronan's smile cut his face, but he looked kinder than Blue had ever seen him, like the raven in his hand was his heart, finally laid bare.(ch. 32)

"Barrington Whelk," Adam and Ronan replied in unison. They exchanged a wry look. (ch. 35) (Blue POV)