THE DREAM THIEVES P.3

Adam was in the dream, too; he traced the tangled pattern of the ink with his finger. He said, "Scio quid hoc est." As we traced it father and father down on the bare skin of Ronan's back, Ronan himself disappeared entirely, and the tattoo got smaller and smaller. It was a Celtic knot the size of a wafer, and then Adam, who had become Kavinsky, said, "Scio quid estis vos." He put the tattoo in his mouth and swallowed it.

Ronan woke with a start, ashamed and euphoric.

The euphoria wore off long before the shame did.

He was never sleeping again. (ch. 30) (Ronan POV)

He wondered if Kavinsky was gay. He wondered if he should go to the Fourth of July party. He wondered where Adam had gone. (ch. 54) (Ronan POV)

But now, he knew all at once what he was hurrying for. They were restoring the ley line for Cabeswater. They were restoring it now because Ronan was going to need it. Tonight. Hurry. (ch. 58) (Adam POV)

"You didn't say you don't swing that way"

Ronan was silent. Thunder growled under his feet. "No, I didn't." (ch. 61) (Ronan POV)

Adam looked up at Ronan. "I know it was you," He said. "I figured it out. The rent."

He held Ronan's gaze for just a moment longer, until something inside Ronan unwound and he almost said something. (ch. 61)

Ronan's second secret was Adam Parrish.

Adam was different since making the bargain with Cabeswater. Stronger, stranger, farther away. It was hard not to stare at the odd and elegant lines of his face. (Epilogue) (Ronan POV)

"What's the next step, then?" Gansey asked warily. It was hard to tell if he was wary of Adam or wary of the cavern.

Adam said, "Make it safer."

He glanced at Ronan, eyebrows furrowed, as if sensing Ronan's eyes on him. Ronan looked away. (Epilogue)