Part 12

Chapter 12

Time had passed and Hiccup had settled into his role as Freshman Law Student. He had finally accepted that he wasn't getting Heather back and most of him wasn't especially upset about it, because the Heather he had seen from classes wasn't really a person he wanted to spend time with. Also, he was getting closer to Astrid in his own geeky and slightly embarrassed way. She was his equal in eating ultra-hot foods and enjoying classic Sci-Fi movies and they had even been on a few Not 'not-dates' (otherwise known as Dates) and so far they had passed without any major incident apart from being banned from one Mexican Restaurant for complaining their hot chilli wasn't hot enough.

Astrid had giggled that night like crazy. He never knew someone who could get drunk off peppers like she did. It was just one of her lovable quirks. Summer soon came and so did the selection results for Professor Grimborne's Summer internship.

"I can't believe they are taking on Freshman," Hiccup heard one of the older years in the hall say to someone else.

"So lucky....." another commented as he got closer to the bulletin board. There was a cluster of students around the board, many of which Hiccup recognized. Even the twins were there and they were patting a disbelieving Snotlout. "I got in....... I got in........." Hiccup heard Snotlout mutter as he tried to peer at the board.

"Oh my Thor Fish!" He heard Heather shout. "We got in!" She embraced Fishlegs, nearly sending the man staggering backwards. They were in front of Hiccup and he had to move quickly to the side as to not get squished.

"So that's three," Hiccup heard Fishlegs say, obviously referring to Heather, Snotlout and himself. "That leaves only room for....." Just as Fishlegs said that Hiccup noticed his name on the board. "ME!" he shouted, startling a whole bunch of students. He fist-pumped furiously and leapt up, punching the air. "YES!" he yelled and then looked around. "Um...yeah...that happened..." Several tried to smother their laughter as Hiccup scurried away, unaware of the incredulous stare Heather was shooting him.

When it was time for the actual internship to start the four would meet at Viggo's law firm, Grimborn, Savage & Mookie. Hiccup refused to ponder who's last name was Mookie. It was just too hilarious. When the elevator dinged, Hiccup and Snotlout, dressed in suits stepped out of one. Out of another elevator Fishlegs and Heather stepped. Both duos stopped in the middle of the hallway to look at each other critically.

"Hiccup," Heather said a bit dismissively while Fishlegs greeted the pair with a heartier hello. The four of them proceeded to a conference room where they found Viggo and Astrid sitting, along with another lawyer. Heather's eyes widened when she laid eyes on Astrid and then she looked sharply at Hiccup. Hiccup for the most part ignored the look and went to sit next to Astrid, giving her a whispered greeting.

"Greetings all," Viggo said once everyone was seated. "I see some of you are already acquainted with my Junior associate Astrid Hofferson. You may have seen her around campus doing research." He introduced. "We also have Mr. Savage, one of our senior partners at the table today who has taken an interest in this case." A man with a thin mustache nodded at the four interns.

"Now, we'll be handling an actual case during your internship." Viggo explained as several pictures popped up on the monitor on the wall once he pressed a button. Everyone looked at the file in front of them as well while Viggo continued to talk. "This is Drago Bludvist," Viggo explained. "Two months ago he was found dead in his office. Not by a gunshot wound or anything, but by a peanut allergy. The deceased was found by his wife, Clarissa, who saw our Defendant standing over him."

"The Defendant is one Johann Trader, an associate of Drago's. According to the wife he had the means, motive, and opportunity to poison the victim." Viggo continued as he showed them the pictures of the scene of the crime and the Defendant. "Our job is to defend Mr. Trader and prove his innocence."