Part 15

Chapter 15

"So what do we know about the widow?" Hiccup asked as Astrid drove them out of the town and sped along the freeway and out into the countryside. Weaving between the traffic and using the speed limit as the slowest she would consider travelling, Astrid shifted gear down and they riskily overtook a bus of elderly churchgoers, narrowly missing a truck filled with cows. The bus swerved and Hiccup definitely thought he could hear screams as they roared away from the still swerving bus.

"Much younger than her husband, former Glamour Model and quickly on the scene after the murder," Astrid reported. "She enjoyed the good things in life, being famous and rich and in the glossy magazines but she didn't spend much time with her husband. She's currently spending some time in the 'Western Oaks Country Club' so we're heading there to speak to her."

"We're defending the man who is accused of murdering her husband," Hiccup pointed out. "Is she going to want to speak to us?"

"All we are doing is checking her story," Astrid said. "Though I will start the conversation, you will need to take it over because everything I have found about her suggests that she has an eye for men. Especially those younger than herself..." Hiccup blushed slightly.

"Um...are we talking about me?" he asked and she chuckled.

"You remember I mentioned that I had to work harder because no one saw beyond my looks?" Astrid asked him and he nodded slowly. "Now, I am going to employ your looks to see if we can get the newly widowed Mrs Bludvist talking to us." Hiccup glanced over at her, seeing her eyes twinkle with amusement.

"You do know that I am not very good at talking to the opposite sex?" he checked and she shrugged.

"Doing fine with me," she reasoned calmly. He waved his hands wildly.

"But you're a lawyer and you like Star Wars!" he protested. "I mean...if this widow is so Glamorous, I may not be able to even say a word..."

"Aha. So being a lawyer stops me from being a woman?" she teased him.

"Yes. No! NO! Definitely not...it's just...I know that you won't pounce on me or make a pass or..."

"I could if you want me to," Astrid said and he turned beet red. She chuckled again. "You may want to cool down before we see her. She may not want to chat with an auburn tomato." Hiccup dropped his head back and sighed.

"Just my luck," he sighed. "A woman who doesn't like fruit."

It was only another ten minutes before they reached the manicured shrubs and stunning topiary that marked the elegant entrance of 'Western Oaks'. Driving slightly more steadily up the white gravel drive that swept up to the wide-open double glass doors of the country club. They passed a set of trees shaped into flamingos and Hiccup thought about the reason why. He'd seen other shapes but those darn flamingos just stood out. As soon as they pulled up, a valet emerged, offering to repark Astrid's car but she glared at him until he withdrew very hastily. Finally, she walked side by side with Hiccup into the pale marble lobby and reception of the Country Club and asked where Clarissa Bludvist was. Everything just screamed money here and Hiccup gulped, afraid that even breathing might get him a hefty bill.

"She's in the spa but I'm not sure she wants to see any guests while she's having a Natrinatural treatment..." the receptionist began but Astrid had already spotted the sign.

"Don't worry-we'll go and check!" she said cheerfully but one of the receptionists got in her way.

"I'm really afraid I can't permit that!" she said firmly, nodding to the second receptionist at the counter. "Please take a seat there while we check with Mrs Bludvist. This is an extremely exclusive Club with over a hundred and fifty years of heritage and prestige and we cannot permit anyone to walk in and embarrass our members." Astrid pursed her lips but Hiccup nodded, blushing because the woman had pointedly looked at him when she spat the word 'anyone'.