chapter fifteen

CARSON MUST'VE SEEN my headlights through the windows, because he appears in the doorway of the trailer and squints into them until they flick off

CARSON MUST'VE SEEN my headlights through the windows, because he appears in the doorway of the trailer and squints into them until they flick off. When I get out of the car, we jog until we almost crash into each other.

"Hey, what're you doing here?" A smile is plastered on his face, but his expression turns serious when I dab tears from my cheeks. "Whoa, hey, what's going on? What happened?"

"It's--" I laugh, not because it's funny, but because seeing him is so euphoric. The calm after a storm. I don't know how to tell him about my dad, the breakdown I had on the way here, or that I might get in trouble for not telling Mom where I was going. Somehow, when I look at him, all of that is just gone. "I'm okay now," I say. "Can I come in?"

He gently touches the small of my back before we go inside. I haven't been in here since the time we had chili. Other than the AC rattling, it's dead silent.

"My mom's asleep," Carson says, "so we gotta be a little quiet. C'mon, you caught me making food."

I almost feel like I'm trespassing since Dorothy doesn't know I'm here, but apparently this is normal for Carson so I follow him down the hall. The lights are on in the kitchen. A jug filled with a bright blue liquid and a wooden spoon is on the table next to a torn packet of Kool-Aid. The buttery smell of Kraft Mac n' Cheese soaks the air, and steam lifts from the pot on the stove. I'm not in the mood to eat; memories of my dad play from a jumbotron in my head, but the normalcy of the room calms me down. Reminds me that even though the last few hours of my life have been a train wreck, the world always keeps spinning.

"You like mac n' cheese?" Carson asks.

"Not my favorite." I laugh. "I've eaten way too much in my life."

"But you've never had mine. Trust me, it's in a league of its own." He saunters to the stove and stirs the pot, wearing red plaid pajamas and a black, form-fitting T-shirt. My cheeks scorch. Somehow seeing him in his PJs feels super intimate. With his ruffled hair and sleepy eyes, he's never been cuter.

Carson plops a mound of noodles into two bowls. Still with that grin, he pours Kool-Aid into plastic cups. Faint snoring sounds through the walls, and Carson's face flushes.

"Hey, let's eat in my room, that cool?"

"Sure," I say. We haven't had a chance to be alone alone since the night we almost kissed. My heart flutters when I think about what might happen if I stay the night.

Darkness shrouds the bedroom, and Carson shuts the door behind us. Setting his bowl and cup on the floor, he turns on the bedside lamp. A dim, comforting glow settles over the room, and a bundle of unmade sheets is next to the guitar on his bed.

"Glad I made two boxes," he says, sitting on the rug, "'cause one's never enough for me."

I sit cross-legged across from him. "You can eat two boxes?"