Chapter 1//Life As It Was

She'd known Hoseok for a long time, ever since she'd first moved to Gwangju and started middle school, and he'd been one of her favorite people ever since. 

Most people knew Hoseok for his cheerful disposition. His bright smile and infectious laugh drew people to him naturally. He worked in an international aid agency, and he was very good at it. Whenever he met now people or came home to visit his old acquaintances, his work was the main interest. It was all he was ever asked about, the trips and the disasters. Hoseok loved his job and Hana admired his hard work and compassion. However, she knew that sometimes Hoseok had to get his mind off of the work.
   Hana knew that his cheerful personality wasn't all there was to him. Hoseok was only a human, and while he was very talented and cheerful, he still had flaws. He had good days and bad days, just like everyone else. She knew this and she accepted it.
   Complete honesty existed between the two of them. If he was happy, he showed it. If he wasn't, he didn't try to hide it for her benefit. The same went for Hana; Hoseok knew what she was feeling, and he accepted those feelings. They knew each other better than they knew themselves.
    Hana was there for him, through sunshine and rain.
   And he was there for her.

   Well for the most part at least.

   When Hana was younger, they saw each other almost every day.  Now that they were both grown up, they had their own jobs and adult responsibilities. They didn't see one another every day at school. They didn't text every day as they had as teens when they had fewer responsibilities and more free time. Things were different for both of them.

   However, Hoseok's life was vastly different.
   His job was more demanding than Hana's. Actually, it was more demanding than most jobs.
   Hoseok was either traveling with an aid group or helping spread awareness of crises and current events. His life revolved solely around his work. That was just how he was. Jung Hoseok was selfless and he always had been. He loved his career and he loved the people he worked to help. He'd always been a hard worker, and Hana had always admired that about him. Hoseok did things with his full effort and his whole heart, he always had.

   Summer had faded back into fall with its chill and rich colors.
   For Hoseok summer had meant another long term relief trip to South America. The constant work, media attention, and travel had exhausted all of the aid workers, including Hoseok. Hana was no fool though, she knew he'd loved every moment of it. You didn't have to be best friends with Jung Hoseok to know he loved what he did. He loved helping people. He loved interacting with people. She was sure he was happy and was bringing happiness to so many others.

   So of course if he was happy, she was happy.

   However, when Hobi was on a work trip, he didn't do the greatest job of caring for himself. He never had been, preferring to first take care of others and then attend half-heartedly to himself.
   So, when he returned that September to Seoul, Hana was ready to slip into their old routine, taking care of one another. That was familiar to the two of them. They'd been doing it since they were young teenagers, knowing that the other would do a poor job of it themselves.
   It was part of who they were.
   Naturally, Hana assumed that they would just pick up where they had left off, as they always did.
   Hana didn't even consider that things could have changed.

A/N: 

Please eat well and take care of yourselves!

(edited June 2019)

*Novi*