Chapter 14

{Chapter 14}

Anne was overcome with a strong tide of peace. Her heart stopped its rapid beating that had become normal since discovering Andrew had been taken. For a moment, Anne paused a moment, and let peace wash over her. She didn’t understand what it meant. She hadn’t ever felt this sort of peace before. Of course, she had felt peace once. But it hadn’t been anything like this.

“God, what does this mean?” Anne whispered. She looked at herself in the mirror. She had been trying to put her makeup on. Such a trivial thing considering what was going on right at that moment. But she had felt she needed to do something normal so that she wouldn’t go mad.

Anne watched her eyes in the mirror, trying hard not to let tears flood her eyes. She felt the peace ebbing. It had only been a momentary thing. Anne stopped trying to hold the tears back. She let them pour out and she let out a soft sob.

                                                            #

Andrew sagged on numb legs, feeling pain scorch through his body. He pulled in ragged breathes. He was almost positive that one of his ribs was broken. Every breathe he pulled in brought excruciating pain to his chest.

He could see Thomas standing in the corner smirking. Andrew didn’t feel angry anymore. A week ago, mere hours before, he would have been angrier than a hornet whose hive had been destroyed. But now, he only felt sorry for Thomas.

“How did you like that?” Thomas scowled.

Andrew coughed up a little bit of blood and said, “What if I said I’m sorry? For whatever it is I did?”

Thomas seemed to think about what Andrew had said for a moment because he hesitated. After a moment of silence, Thomas said. “That's the thing with apologies, Andrew. They are often, if not always, insincere. Someone saying, 'sorry' does not redeem them of an evil they have committed. They still have committed their sin, and can never be forgiven of it.”

“You’re wrong, you know.” Andrew whispered. Thomas’ eyes flashed in anger. Apparently he didn’t like being told he was wrong. “Romans 8:2: And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.”

Thomas scowled. “Who told you that crap?”

“I read it in a book.” Andrew said quietly. He hoped Thomas wouldn’t notice the book that was sitting on the floor mere feet away. He forced himself to keep his eyes locked on Thomas.

“What book?” Thomas’ tone was fierce.

Andrew was silent.

“Tell me, or I will use this pretty little thing,” he pulled out a knife, “to gut you right here, right now.”

“You’re smart enough… figure it out.”

“Don’t test me!” Thomas slashed down in one, swift motion. Andrew felt warm blood seeping down his cheek, and he felt a gash on his cheek.

“The Bible!” Andrew said. He wished that at least one of his hands were not strung up. He wished he could put his hand to his face to numb the pain.

“Hmm…” Thomas scowled.

“I told you! I’m not lying!”

“You haven’t ever read that book. How did you read it?” Andrew made the mistake of looking at the book. Thomas turned to look at what Andrew had looked at. “Ah, so that’s how…” Thomas strode to the book and picked it up. He looked through it and, seemingly satisfied, held it closed.