Epilogue: Two Years Later

{Epilogue: Two Years Later}

Andrew sat in the sand, listening to the waves crashing to the shore. The folding of the water, the sound it made when it caved in on itself was serene. Yes, serene, that was the word that came to mind.

The sun was warm, perfect. It was as if heaven was flooding the earth with its peace and serenity. In his hands, Andrew held a book. It was hand crafted, made with real leather. In the sand, a pen sat, ready to put its ink on the page.

Andrew lay back, letting the sun wash over his body. He lay like that for a moment, contemplating his life. Should I do this? He wondered. Doing so would mean bringing forth horrifying memories locked away in the dungeons of his heart and mind for the past two years.

“God help me…” Andrew whispered. “I need to do this. But I don’t think I can. It hurts too much.”

Andrew heard her feet in the sand before Molly said, “Hey cutie.” She sat beside him. I saw you sitting by yourself. I got worried, so I came to talk to you. Can you believe our parents decided to take this trip?” He couldn’t believe it. His mom and Molly’s parents decided to take a trip to Maui for a few weeks. Over the past two years, their families had become inseparable and so when the idea had been brought up, everyone jumped on it instantly.

            “I can’t believe it. I love it here.”

            “I do, too. It’s so wonderful.” Molly smiled. The sun glinted off her white teeth. She looked like an angel she was so beautiful. Molly leaned into Andrew’s lips and kissed him. Her lips were soft on his. Andrew’s heart fluttered. Molly’s hand brushed his left cheek. She held it there as if suspended by magic. Her hand traced his scar.

When their lips parted, Andrew whispered, “I need your help.”

“What do you need?” Molly’s hand twirled Andrew’s hair on his head. “You’re beautiful you know that, Andrew?”

Andrew didn’t know what to say to that. “You’re beautiful, too, Molly.” He paused, looking in her eyes. “I need you to listen. I need you to listen as I write this. I only trust you with this. I know it’s a lot to ask. But it’s important to me and…” He knew he didn’t need to continue when Molly stopped him with a kiss.

“’Kay, I’ll do anything for you.” Molly smiled.

“I’ll read as I wrote,” Andrew said, picking up the leather bound book and grabbing the pen. He cracked the cover and said as he wrote, “I forgive Thomas. I forgive him for all the things he did to me. I forgive him. That is the most important part of my story.

“Maybe not today, or next week, or even next year, but someday Thomas will know that I forgive him. I just hope that he is ready to accept my forgiveness.” Molly was sitting silently, solemnly, listening. She truly cared about him and that brought a smile to his face.

“The heart is unusual. It has the capacity to love and to hate. God made it to love, though. I doubt I’ll ever know why hate and love can coincide. But I do know this: My anger and hate towards Thomas seems to have been a lesson to teach me to love.

“Without Thomas, I wouldn’t be here right now, as I am. I would be different. I know for sure that without Thomas I would be lost; lost in my mind, body and soul. I never would have found a savior. For that, I thank Thomas.” Andrew’s words never faltered. His tone never changed. It felt good to get the words that had been cooped up in his mind for so long out. It was as if a weight was being lifted with every word he let out.

Andrew was silent for a moment, thinking. “For lack of a better ‘intro,’ I guess I’ll just start at the beginning.” And so he did, spinning the unbelievably true story from his past. His heart ached as he spoke of the terrible things. His heart soared as he recalled all of the good things. Though they were few and minute, they still had a strong importance in his story.

He wept as he recalled all the horror and the pain. But, even with all of his conflicting emotions, it was as if a powerful salve had been applied to a terrible burn. Even as the hours passed and the day turned to evening, and the warm air cooled, Molly listened with intensity and rapture. She never seemed to lose interest, her eye contact never faltered. And that was why Andrew loved her. She truly cared about him and what he had to say.

Throughout his long dialogue he had a strong urge to lean in and kiss her lips, ever-so-softly. But he held the urge at bay until now, after he finished spinning his words. The kiss was like a fire cracker on the Fourth of July. It was an explosion of passion and thanks and, ultimately, a deep love.

Andrew supposed that it was odd for a boy and girl of merely sixteen to love each other. But Andrew didn’t care. Molly was his soul mate, no matter what. Age couldn’t hold such a wondrous thing back.

He hadn’t realized the sun had gone down. He only noticed it after his body shivered from the cold. Molly grabbed Andrew’s hand. “Come on, we’ll finish this tomorrow. I’ll let you sleep. This must have been hard for you.”

Andrew followed Molly hand in hand off the beach. “Thank you.” Andrew needed only to say those words for Molly to understand. She was keen on him and understood his heart and soul.

“Andrew, I love you,” She said softly, sweetly. Warmth spread through Andrew’s body and pooled in his stomach. He never tired of those words. They truly were the most wonderful words one could utter.

“I love you, too.” With one final kiss, and one final glance, they bid each other goodnight.

When Andrew fell into bed, a smile lit his face. “Thank you, Lord. Thank you for all you have done in my life. Thank you for getting my attention. You saved me.” 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

What did you think? What could I have done better? What was your favorite/least favorite part? How was the character development? Did you think they were life-like and round, rather than square "John Doe?" Please, tell me in the comments? :)