del;

2 years later
190218

"hanseul, you have a letter."

namjoon entered her room and sat on the bed. "taehyung wrote from the army."

hanseul immediately left her desk and took the letter without any words. she was so excited; it was rare for taehyung to write. as she began reading, however, her expressions changed. the excitement was gone.

"hi hanseul,

i hope you're fine. i'm doing quite well in the army, don't worry about me.

i was cleaning up my locker that day and found something. i should have given you earlier, but i somehow forgot about it. i'm sorry.

anyway, i've put hoseok's letter at the back.

love,
taehyung."

namjoon looked at her as he finished reading the letter as well, and he knew that hanseul was struggling. the pain of seeing hoseok go was so great that hanseul could barely handle. she tried to forget about him in these two years, despite namjoon had explained multiple times that she didn't need to.

his heart hurt for her.

she took out the smaller envelope and opened it, to only find out that hoseok hadn't written her any letters. the thicker rectangular object inside was a picture.

"when did you take it," hanseul whispered mildly in disbelief, as if hoseok was there to answer her question.

she stared at the picture for a while. hanseul was in her school uniform, grinning at something she couldn't remember.

"there's something at the back," namjoon pointed out. she turned her head to him, to seek encouragement. he nodded firmly and placed a hand on her shoulder.

finally she flipped the picture over. she hadn't read anything yet, but tears kept falling uncontrollably. just his handwriting made her heart ache.

it was hoseok's second birthday after he had gone, and namjoon had never seen hanseul broken down this badly.

he let his tears flow silently, as his blurred vision tried to focus on the back of the picture.

"sseul,

i've always wanted to return this to you, but i just couldn't. i kept it with me wherever i go under my phone case, and take it out whenever i miss you.

stupid, aren't i? i could have just look for the digital one saved in my camera roll. hopefully when the time comes, this picture will be with you, and i'll be right beside you, always.

j."

••

del;
— jung hoseok

february
{ coming soon }