Chapter Twelve: Confessions Are Annoying

"I'm not in love, so don't forget it."
10CC, Not In Love

AT SEVEN, Kaldur and Superboy were sparring, and the rest of us were watching. Well, apart from Robin. He was back in Gotham with Batman. I couldn't lie, it was a little lonely without him.

I guess as we watched the boys, me, Artemis and Meghan got into one of those "girl talks." Not that I know what it means, because it just seemed like an excuse to talk about the males behind their backs. Which was totally fine.

"Kaldur's uh, nice, don't you think?" Artemis said to Meghan. "Handsome, commanding... You should totally ask him out."

No, no, no. All wrong. Superboy was made to be with Meghan!

"He's like my big brother!" Meghan laughed. "But do you know who would make the cutest couple? You and Wally!" The three of us turned to look at the speedster, who was unsurprisingly, munching on some crisps.

I got ahead of you there, Meghan... I started shipping them a long time ago. Heh.

"You're so full of passion, and he's so full of..." Meghan trailed off.

"It?" Suggested Artemis. We burst into laughter. Then, like wolves, they both turned to me.

"So, what about you, Shady?" Meghan asked casually. "There's gotta be someone you have feelings for, right?"

I laughed nervously. "Um, unfortunately not. I've never dated in my life, and... It seems a little young to be going out with someone."

"I find hard to believe you're still eleven sometimes," Artemis commented. "Besides, there is a certain Boy Wonder, who you talk to, oh I don't know, all the time?"

I felt all my blood rush to my cheeks.

"You're blushing!" Crowed Meghan joyfully.

"Admit it, Em," laughed Artemis. "And actually, he's ideal for you. It would be adorable to see the youngest members of the team together."

"Alright, that's enough I say," I muttered, pushing some hair out of my face.

Ok, so maybe I was having some weird fluttery feelings in my stomach for Robin, but it was nothing major. Besides, I'd never had a crush on my life! Goodness, was it that obvious?

I only talked to him because he was the youngest on the team (apart from me of course), and I could relate to him. Everyone had a special role in my life though.

Meghan was like my big sister; she finally taught me how to make cheesy pasta, even though first time round I may have eaten all the cheese itself.

Arty was my best friend; we could relate at school, and over some time, she'd finally got me to understand dividing fractions. In return I'd explained algebra and the Pythagoras theorem to her.

Kaldur was my training specialist; I could shoot a gun, and could fight, but with other weapons in was harder. He was slowly teaching me to use sword, although I couldn't even lift the damn thing at first.
Superboy was my anger management person. Since whenever we got angry we kinda lost it, we would go talk to each other about how annoying some humans were (cough, Natasha and Superman, cough). It was like a stress reliever.

Wally and me had an endless competition about stealing each other's snacks; after all, we were both extremely hungry most of the time. Usually we'd sit on the sofa and fight over a bag of crisps.

Robin... Robin was something else, I'd give you that. We would talk all the time about stuff in general, and he would occasionally flirt with me a bit. Just thinking about it made me want start fangirling, which was very unlike me.

But, as I said before, nothing major. The only thing I'd ever agreed on with Dad was that emotions were weak and they got in the way. Well, that's the excuse I preferred to use anyway. In reality, I just didn't want to trouble anyone.

£

We went on our next mission without Robin, and in our normal clothes. We had to save a helmet which was home to Nabu the Lord Of Order, and we caught against a fake magician, and this weird boy with a cat... It was all pretty weird. And then someone died in Wally's arms!

Him and I had a deep talk about it later. He confided in me that I was one of the best therapists he'd ever met; not just because I gave advice, but because I listened, first hand. I don't know why I was so good at that, because I had big trouble telling people about my problems.

The mission had felt strange without Robin. It was a bit off, without his usual sarcastic comments, of cheeky inputs. Where had his chirpy voice gone? It was almost... Empty.

BROOKSTON, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS DUDE! I yelled at myself. Which was true, but I still liked him, a lot. As I pondered over what the inharmonic equivalent to E minor was, my thoughts turned unwillingly to Robin.

I wonder what colour his eyes are? I best they're blue. A guy as perfect as him has to have perfect eyes...

I snapped out of it, and hit myself on the head.

Brookston, what in the name of God was that?! First you think he's awesome, and now you're thinking he's perfect?! You have better things to do than to think about a useless male!

"Ok," I said to myself, "how am I going to transpose this piece into concert pitch, at C major, when it's written for a clarinet in F flat?" I tapped my pencil. I was sitting at a table in the living room, as Meghan made cookies in the kitchen, and Wally are crisps whilst badly flirting with her.

"Recognized; Robin, B01,"

I dropped my pencil, picked it up again, and stuffed my face so close to the paper I could see where the ink had gone haywire. "Hey guys!" Came that cheerful voice that I'd missed so much.

"Hi Robin!"

"Hey, Rob!"

"Hello," I mumbled quietly, trying to get on with my music theory.

"Whatcha doing there, Shady?" He came and leaned behind me on the back of my chair.

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God.

"Just some music theory," I answered in an almost whisper. "I have to pass an exam if I want to do grade five."

"Grade five of what?" Robin grinned. "You play a musical instrument?"

"And my secret is out," I sighed, "you got me. I do piano."

"Wow! I'll have to see you play sometime!"

"I wouldn't," I laughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of my head. "It'll probably be so bad your ears would burn."

"Aww, don't say that! It makes me want to hear it even more! Don't put yourself down all the time, Shady,"

"I try," I sighed.

"I bet you do," he smirked, before pulling me up, out of my seat.

"Beg your pardon, but what are you doing?" I asked, as he dragged me towards the kitchen.

"Come on, Shady! At least try and put up with me a bit! Besides," he motioned to Wally, who was making eyes at Meghan. She was looking a little uncomfortable. "I don't really wanna interrupt Wally's flirting practice."

"Oh, alright," I grumbled, pulling out some crisps. "But only for five minutes. I have to get that paper done by tommorow you know."

An hour later, I was sitting on the sofa with Robin, watching the Avengers, and the theory paper lay happily forgotten on the table.