Chapter Nineteen: Am I Jealous?

"They're keeping you away from me."
Heathers, Meant To Be

AS I DISCOVERED A DAY A FEW DAYS, being jealous is not the greatest feeling in the world. In fact, I would name it to be the worst. It had been at least a week since the Red Tornado incident, and I was at home with Natasha, being... Not very productive. I was sitting on my bed, reading, when Widow burst into the room.

"Come on Shades, to the mountain!"

"Why?" I asked, not looking up from my book.

"There's a newcomer,"

"I don't give a-"

She dragged me up, and despite my protests we went. When we got there, I was still so invested in my book, I didn't see where I was going, so I went straight into a wall, and fell on the floor.

Get up! Get up, you klutz!

I rubbed my head, and got up, still a little dizzy. "Shady!" Wally waved to me from his chair. I mumbled something incoherent in reply, and picked my book up, trying to find my place.

"You never learn Em," laughed Arty. I didn't say anything, still trying to get to the page, flicking frantically.

"Shadow?" Kaldur asked. I still said nothing, as I had found my place, and was reading intently again.

"Em?" Robin questioned.

How can they not see that I'm reading? I'm busy!

"Shades?" M'gann mumbled, waving a hand.

Go AWAY!

And as Amy picked up the sword, the evil villain ran at her, throwing her across the room in a rage. The sun burned their skins as the two then began to fight. The ground shifted beneath them, as the two sides crashed, dark and light. Forever opposites, destined to destroy one another in a mad struggle for power, over the mere existence-

"And the sky became black as the night sky, as the only light on the whole world spun around the girl, who was desperately swinging the sword, only just about blocking the mad attacks of the psychotic maniac, who was bent on wiping her very presence off the face of the planet-" I suddenly realized I'd been reading out loud, throwing one arm around in wild gestures, as my more dramatic half was shown. I stopped abruptly, and my hands flopped to my sides.

"Woah." Stated Wally, crisps slipping from his open mouth.

"What?!" I huffed, blushing. "I am not always a shy, idiotic girl, who can't get a word in edgeways!"

Then the system announced Zatara the magician, and then his daughter Zatanna. A girl walked through the zeta tube, with long black hair and blue eyes. I saw trouble, but M'gann stepped forward. "Hi! I'm-"

"Robin!" Dick cut in. "I mean, um, I'm Robin. That's M'gann, Kaldur, Artemis, Kaldur, Connor, and Shadow, or Shady."

Zatanna waved. I raised a hand, but was aching to get back to my book.

"So," Robin continued excitedly, "are you joining the team?"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is strictly a visit," Zatara cut in hastily.

Someone's overprotective.

Then everyone started talking about the Red Tornado incident in a mind link, which I decided to stay out of. I just listened carefully, before I heard Zatanna interrupt. "Excuse me, but are you talking in a psychic link? Because I can't decide whether that's cool or really rude."