7

Grace's P.O.V.

It's been two weeks since Ashton's and I first date. We've been hanging out more ever since then. And it's been two weeks since I had my first kiss. I'm walking to my next class with Mary Lou beside me going on about her and Luke. Halfway to class somebody bumps into me, "Watch where you going breed." They spit. I didn't say a word but Mary Lou did.

"Hey, how about you walk with your eyes open Tom and you would've seen us coming through you prick." She yells through the loud hallway. I stop, fear running through my veins. I look over at Mary Lou, "What are you doing?" The hallway goes quiet. "What was that, Howard?" Tom questioned. Mary Lou crosses her arms not fazed by the white boy.

I start to shake. I turn around coming face to face with Tom Walker. The biggest dick I ever met. "You heard me." Mary Lou says, looking disgusted by the boy. He glares at her, "Listen here n*gger lover, you don't scare me." She rolls her eyes and places her hand on my arm, "Come on let's go. I don't have time for this bullshit." We walk away from the scene. "That's right walk away!" Tom calls from the hall.

Mary Lou brings up her hand flipping off Tom and his posse. We make it to English just in time before the bell rings. We take our seats and didn't talk about what just happened.

~~~~

I'm walking home until I hear another pair of foot steps. I turn around and it's John with his buddies. Without a single thought I start to run. "Get her!" Tom yells to his friends and I can hear them running after me. I ran for awhile and I lost them cutting through alleys and people's yards.

My stride comes to a slow pace so I can catch my breath. "There she is!" I hear him exclaim. They run after me. I sprint away from them. They're only a couple of feet behind me getting closer because my legs are becoming tired. I get pushed down, my knee scraping against the cement.

I ball up waiting for the kicks and blows until I hear the all too familiar accent, "You touch her you die." I look up at Tom and his friends looking at Ashton with blank expressions. "Get out of here you wog." I gasp as Tom used the racial term to Ashton. I hear knuckles being cracked, "Oh you're going to get it."

I get up and stood in front of Ashton, "It's not worth it. Come on let's go." I place my hand on his chest. He looks at me and then back at Tom, "You're lucky." He points at the teenage boys. I hear Tom scoff, "Whatever." I hear them walking away from us. Ashton rolls his eyes at the boys and bends down in front of me.

"Woah what are you doing?" I ask, stepping back. He grabs my leg to make me step closer to him, "Your knee is bleeding." He examines my bloody knee. I cover my face in embarrassment. I need to have a back bone so I can start sticking up for myself. "Ugh, they're such assholes." I pout. I hear him chuckle. He stands back up. He brings me into a hug.

I relax at his touch. I wrap my arms around his torso. He rubs my back making me relax. "Come on let's get you all fixed up." He says, breaking our hug.

~~~~

I'm woken up with a sound. I wait for the sound again. It's coming from my window. I get up from my bed and grabbed my robe to cover myself. I walk over to my window and look through it. Ashton is throwing pebbles at my window. I smile. I unlock my window and opened it. I stick my head out, "What are you doing here?" I say, loud enough for him to hear.

"Can you come outside?" He asks very loudly. I shushed him. "My mother's sleeping. She'll hear you." I warn. He smiles, "Just get down here." He says softly. I groan and closed my window. I put on my slippers and walked towards my door. I exit my room very quietly not to wake up my mother. I make it down the stairs with no creaks in the wood. I unlock the door and Ashton is sitting on our porch swing.

The cold January air hits my warm skin. I tie my robe and put my hands in my pockets. "You know what time it is?" I ask, leaning against the door. He sloppy looks at his wrist that used to hold his watch. "Nope." He cackles. I raise an eyebrow. What's up with him? I walk towards him and he reaches out and grabs my robe.

He pulls me close to him bring me between his legs. He looks up at me. His eyes are glassy. He's drunk. He places his hands on my hips, "You're so beautiful. I can't wait to call you mine." He smiles at me. My eyes widen at his words. His? I never been in a relationship so having one might be weird.

He sighs, "You don't want me. I'm not good enough for you." He leans back into the swing looking away from me. My heart sank at his words. I sit next to him. I place my hand on his knee. He looks at my hand and then me. "I've never said that. You are enough for me Ashton. I just feel like I'm not good enough for you." I admit to the drunk man.

He changes his position and leans towards me. He places a hand on my cheek, "You're everything I ever wanted." He confesses. I connect our lips. The alcohol taste lingers on my taste buds. I pull him close to me deepening the kiss while he places his warm hand on my exposed thigh. My body burns from the sensation. We pull away both of our breathing heavy from lack of air.

He looks up at me, "You might want to turn away." With a confused look I ask, "Why?" Without a word, Ashton gets up from the swing and walks over to the edge of the porch. That's when I hear him gag. I gasp and turned away from the sight. Once he was done, I bring him inside. I lay him down on the couch. He groans, "I'm sorry." He covers his eyes from the light from the lamp.

I bring him a glass of water and a small trash can. I place the trash can next to him and handed him the glass of water. He sits up and takes a few sips and places it on the coffee table. I sit next to him on the floor bring my knees to my chest, making sure he can't see my underwear.

"Don't be." I say, grabbing his hand into mine. He looks up at me with a smile. I give him a soft smile. He leans his head back letting out a sigh, "You don't have to stay down here with me." I grab a blanket from the end of the couch and tried my best to cover him up from my position. He helps me out getting his upper half. "As much as my bed is calling my name, I rather be down here with you." I smile.

He looks at me and cups my chin with his rough hands, "Thank you." I take his hand into mine, "Anytime." I wink. He smiles and leans his head back onto the throw pillow. Silence comes over us and I hear soft snores coming from Ashton. I smile up at him and lean my head against the edge of the couch. I close my eyes and fell asleep while holding Ashton's hand.