12

Ashton's P.O.V

I'm at the shop working on a car when one of my co-workers walk in, "Howdy Ashton." I look up and it's Fred. I smile up at him, "Hello." I put down the wrench I was using back into the tool box. "So a few of the fellas keep telling me that you've been hanging out with a negro girl, is that true?" He asks, leaning against a already fixed car.

My smile fades, "Yeah I have. Why do you care?" I get up wiping my hands with my rag. "I don't. I just want you to be careful. These folks are crazy. Yesterday, I saw a black little boy get hung in his own front yard because he looked at a white little girl." He says. My heart breaks. I shake my head at his words. "That's horrible. He was only a child." I say in disbelief.

"I know man. It was bad. The family tried to get him back but there's was too many people. So his family couldn't do anything." He says going over to a car to fix. I walk away going towards the employee room, "Hey, where you going?" I ignore him and let the door shut behind me. I clock out and head to my car. I get into my car and went straight to Grace's school.

Grace's P.O.V

The final bell rings and I grab my book sack off the floor. I threw it over my shoulder and walked out of Mrs. Bonin's class and into the crowded hallway. Mary Lou checked out during 5th hour because she wasn't feeling too good. She did look a little pale. Since it's the first week of February the weather got colder.

I walk out of the double doors and went down the steps. Minding my own business I hear somebody call my name. I look up and it's Ashton across the street in his coveralls with grease stains all over. I smile and looked both ways. I jogged over to him with my book sack bouncing behind me. He has his arms open, I envelop myself into his arms.

He places a kiss on the top of my head. I let go of our hug, "Why are you here? Shouldn't you be at work?" I smile up at him. He rubs the back of his neck avoiding eye contact now. My smile fades, "Ashton?" I place my hands on his hips trying to get him too look at me. He sighs and looks at me, "I wanted to make sure you made it home safely. I heard about the little boy." He says with a frown on his face.

My heart breaks. My mother told me this morning. Billy Brown was his name. His mother called my mother the minute it happened. He was only 8. Apparently he looked at Mr. Marshal's daughter the wrong way. I know damn well he didn't. He was too shy to give anybody a look. I think Mr. Marshal just wanted to see another negro gone. He's such an evil man.

"Yeah. He was my moms best friends little boy. My mom is over there now. Can you drop me off there?" I ask. He nods and walks to the passenger door. I follow behind him as he opens it for me. I smile up at him and got in. He closes the door and jogs in front of his car. He gets in and starts up his vehicle.

We make it to the Brown's residence. Ashton parks on the side of the street, "What are you doing?" I ask. "I want to see your mom." He simply says. We get out of his car. He waits for me with his hand out. I smile up at him and intertwined our fingers. We walk across the street to the Brown's home.

We walk up the few steps and made it to the door. I knock a few times on the screen door. The wooden door opens revealing a tear faced Mr. Brown. He sniffs and gives me a small smile, "Hello Grace. Who's this?" He nods towards Ashton. I look up at Ashton looking nervous, "This is Ashton. Don't worry. He's one of us." I smile at Mr. Brown. Even though he's best friends with my mother doesn't mean he trusts all whites.