13

Grace's P.O.V

It's Saturday and it's Billy's funeral. I'm in a flowy black short dress with sleeves as Ashton is in a black tux. We arrive together in his car. We're parked outside of the church, he takes my hand and I look up at him. "You okay?" He asks. I nod, "I'm fine. I just feel bad you know? He was only eight. He was a shy kid. Mr. Marshal is such an ass." I groan.

Ashton brings me into him. I rest my head against his shoulder trying to calm down so I won't start crying. "I know. Come on let's go. Your mom and the Brown family is waiting on us." He says opening his door. I nod. I slid across the seat with him holding a hand out so I won't fall in these heels.

I let go of his hand and fixed my dress. He closes the door behind me and hold out his arm for me to grab. I smile up at him and walk to the church. We entered the chapel with warm greetings from Billy's family. We make our way to the front where my mom and Billy's parents are sitting. My mom sees us and gets up. She gives me a hug, "I love you." She chokes. I swallow the lump in my throat.

I clear my throat, "I love you too, mom." I give her wet cheek a kiss. She smiles at me and gives Ashton a hug. I give Mrs. Brown a hug first. "Thank you for coming." She whispers in my ear. I rub her back during the hug, "Wouldn't miss it for the world." She pulls away from me and gives me a toothy smile with tears balling up in her eyes. A tear rolls down. I bring my hand to her face and wipe it away with my thumb, "Billy was a handsome little boy. He didn't deserve this Mrs. Brown. Mr. Marshal will pay." I promised her.

She nods, "Bastard." She rolls her eyes. I laugh and then a smile appears on her lips. "Go tell your other father 'hi' before he gets jealous." She pushes me towards Mr. Brown. Mrs. Brown greets Ashton with a warm hug. I turn and looked at Mr. Brown talking to a family member. I tap his shoulder and he turns around. He greets me with a big bear hug, "Hey baby girl." He says. I smile during the hug. We separate from the hug, "Hey Mr. Brown." I say with a smile on my face. He smiles down at me and looks past me.

I turn and he's looking at Ashton who's talking with my mom and his wife. I look back at Mr. Brown, "I hope it wa-" he stops me. "You have a good one Grace. Don't let him go okay." He says sincerely. I look at him with wide eyes. I was not expecting that. I nod, "Yes sir." He smiles at me, "Come on. Let's save him before our women talk his ear off." I laugh as we walk towards the talkative women.

~~~~

The funeral was good. I shed a few tears during the service. Ashton would squeeze my hand every now and then to let me know things would be okay. We walk out behind Billy's casket, they place him into the white hurse. Ashton and I hug Mr. and Mrs. Brown and then my mom telling them that we're going to follow.

Ashton and I walk hand in hand across the street. He opens the passenger door for me. I thank him and got in. I put on my seat belt as he gets in. He starts up the vehicle and puts on his caution lights pulling up behind a black Cadillac. I look out the window feeling anxious. I haven't been to this graveyard since we buried my father. And it's been a couple of years and I never once went visit his grave. I feel so bad.

I sniff and I feel Ashton's hand on my knee. I look over at him. I unbuckle and scoot closer to him placing my head against his shoulder, "Are you okay?" He asks rubbing my knee. I sigh, holding back tears, "The graveyard we're going to is where my father is buried. I haven't been there since his funeral." I clear my throat to keep the tears in. He pats my knee, "It's hard. Trust me I know, love. You can do it. I'm here for you." He reassures me.

I look up at him and place a kiss on his cheek, "Thank you." We arrive at the graveyard and Ashton walks out first. He opens my door and helps me out of his car. He helps me walk over to Billy's burial sight. We make it and we stand in the back. I look around and that's when I see his head stone. My heart sank. I cross my arms over my chest and just made my way to him.

It was a struggle to get there with these heels but I made it. I'm looking at his headstone. 'Daryl Benson Thompson. February 22, 1926 - August 12, 1967. Beloved brother, husband, and father.' At the end of the grave is a vase that has 'Dad' engraved into it. I start to cry. I walk closer and sat on his grave crying, "Oh dad, I'm sorry it took me so long to see you. I couldn't bare to not see you anymore. I love you so much and I miss you dearly." I cry.

Then I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look up through my blurry vision and it's Ashton. "I'm the worst daughter ever." I cry, looking away. He kneels down in front of me, "Grace, look at me." I sniff and looked at him with tears running down my face.

"You are the best daughter he could ever have. He understands that it was hard for you to lose him at such an young age. He loves you no matter what and he's always with you my love. Forever and always." He places his hands on knees.

I lean in and places a kiss on his lips. I cup his face with my hands and just looked at him. He smiles, "You're staring." I give him a soft smile, "I know. Just let me stare at you." He smiles at me, "Sure thing. Anything for you, beautiful."