I Was Protecting You Aliya.

Zain's POV

"I Love You Zain"

Four words. Twelve Letters. This was something I was dying to hear from her. I wanted to run and hug her like there's no tomorrow. Confess my love for her too. Just like she did. But, I couldn't. It was not the right time. There were things I needed to solve. Though I was unaware of how to. We weren't crying till now. But those few words from her mouth and we both were teary eyed. Trying hard to control our tears.

"A...Aliya..."

I was cut off by her as she brought her palm up facing me. Asking me to stop whatever I wanted to say.

"Let me complete Zain. I tried hard but no. I couldn't actually hate you. You have no idea how hard it was for me to forget you. Hell I never forgot. And guess I never will. Y...you.. Just left. Without any word. Any single word Zain."

Tears were rolling down her pink cheeks and her voice was hoarse. I wanted to console her. But how? I was the reason behind her cries. How can I even console her?

" I tried hating you. I tried not thinking about you. But you know what? Each and every second we have spent together, is etched in my mind permanently. It's never going to get erased. Me marrying Zubair is me running away from us. From you. Just like you did. You ran away from me. I don't know what freaking reason it was. But you could have atleast talked to me! "

No Zain. Calm down. You can't just spit out something that has made you suffer so much. It's difficult seeing her like this. How will she react when she comes to know about the truth? No. I don't even want to imagine. I rubbed my face with my hand and messed up my hair. What do I do now?

" Zain. You Don't love me. Do you?"

I was taken aback by her question. After making myself sure of the question she just asked for a few seconds, I went closer to her. Our body just an inch away from each other.

"I'm in love with you Aliya. Always was. Always will. Please try to understand whatever I did, I had my reasons. Reasons that can't be shared. Please don't force me. And no, you are not marrying Zubair. You were, are and Insha Allah shall forever remain mine. "

"Forever remain mine. Wow!" She was laughing by now. A mocking laughter. I was frowning at her and she was back again being serious .

" Do you think just loving each other is enough for being each others? Huh Zain?! No. Love is not what everyone needs. Spending these 10 years hearing of how selfish and ruthless you are, was difficult. Very difficult. Because I never just loved you. I was protective about you. I trusted you. When everyone was like He's going to go away with his uncle, I was sure you won't. I knew you'll never do something like that. But you proved me wrong Zain. You proved my trust wrong. My love wrong. "

" Do protecting one counts as loving one? " I asked her. She was questioning my love for her. I can bear anything but not a word about our love. Our pure love.

" Huh?! " She frowned.

" Do protecting someone counts in loving someone Aliya? Answer me! "
I asked with Jaws clenched. Fine. If that's what she wants.

"Y... Yes. It....d..does" Our close proximity and my temper made her nervous. She was stuttering. But I ain't gonna back up now. I'll tell her everything.

" Then get this straight in your mind that I. Was. Protecting. You. I was protecting you from my uncle."

"But you were not even with me. How were you even protecting. And from your uncle? Wait. Why?"

I took a deep breath. I need to do this. I turned away, my back facing her.

"He... He.. Wanted to spend a night with you and later... T.. Trade you."

There. I said it. And I heard something fall. When I turned to her, she was on the floor. Her hands covering her mouth and her red eyes widened. I knew she would react this way. Any girl would. I rushed to her and bent down to cup her cheeks with my termbling hands.

"Hey, hey Aliya. Shush. Nothing happened to you right. You are all save and sound. Listen to me. Stop crying. Aliya please. Damn. This is why I wasn't telling you anything."

She looked up at me. Her face all wet with tears. She was broken. Her sobs weren't ending.

" B.... But.. H... How... Did.. You.. P... Protect me? You went away with him."
She asked. More like whispered.

" I'll tell you everything in detail but first, please calm down. Get up."

I made her sit on the couch and offered a glass of water. She took a sip and held my hand, making me sit beside her.

" Answer me Zain. I knew you weren't wrong. Please prove me right. " She asked with pleading eyes.

" Okay listen, That man.., Agh you know his intentions. He asked me to help him and I rejected. I even warmed him to not try any such thing. He was into this business and had many gangsters as his client. He was dangerous and I knew even if I try, I won't be able to save you. So I made a deal with him. I sold away all my father's property to him. My father was a rich man and he had loads of land property. All on my name. He was ecstatic. But he wanted to take me along with him abroad. He never got married and had no kids. He had no idea about how actual business works. And if he wanted to make money, it was necessary to run that business. So he took me. He threatened me that if I don't listen to him, he'll destroy you. And somewhere I felt this would be right. I would have an eye on him so that he don't try anything wrong. It was difficult for me Aliya. To leave the place where I had spent my most beautiful days. To leave a family. To leave You."

I looked back at her and saw her crying. She wiped away my tears. I was crying too. We were lost in each others gaze. Talking through eyes.

"I was protecting You Aliya."

And,she hugged me. So tight that I thought I might die. Just kidding. I loved that feeling.

"I love you. I really do."

"I love you too Aliya. May be more than you."

She chucked and smiled. An actual smile. After 10 damn years.

" I would agree on that."