Chapter 3: Show Me the Money

APRIL 24, 2021

Y/N POV

My car pulls into the Mnet studios lot and I follow Terry out and into the building with my secretary Subin. I always make sure to bring Subin to events like these since I'm still learning Korean and not everyone speaks English. Mnet and I had been in contact with each other for about a month, in talks about the 10th season of their competitive hip-hop show, Show Me the Money. The winner of the tenth season is going to sign with Eternal as the label's first solo Korean act along with their prize money. Because of this, all the competitors are unsigned, new faces in the industry. I'm only making two appearances on the show, episode 1 to surprise the contestants and announce this season's special prize and then again on the final episode to welcome the winner to the Eternal Entertainment lineup. Today we film the first episode.

Inside I'm greeted by Kim Jin-pyo, the show's host, and a few of the show's producers. Subin introduces us all to each other and we bow and shake hands. The producers tell me, through Subin, where I can get ready to make my appearance so that I can stay hidden from the contestants. The plan is for me to interrupt Jin-pyo at the end just before the episode ends.

--- --- ---

I watch the contestant's performances on the monitors backstage until I'm told by Subin that it's almost time for me to appear. I head over to the door to the stage and I hear Jin-pyo saying something I don't understand when he's suddenly cut off by the beginning of my song playing. A producer rushes a smaller screen over to me so I can see what's happening on stage. It's dark and Jin-pyo is acting super confused as to what's going on. Smoke starts to flood onto the stage as the music swells, I then walk out and start rapping, surprising all of the contestants. "I'm lookin' like I'm gonna get it, you probably don't get it. I come in your house with a microphone, lookin' like I'm about to set up a show in your kitchen. I'm outta my mind but I feel like I'm in it. If I never make it, don't make any difference, I'm still gonna kill it, you know what the deal is. Ain't never no chillin' when I'm in the buildin' Y/N is a monster, I am a villain..."

When I'm finished, Subin walks on stage between me and Jin-pyo and translates while I talk to the contestants and viewers. "What's good everyone? I got a special announcement to make. Along with the prize money, the winner of Show Me the Money will be signed to Eternal Entertainment as our first Korean solo act." All the contestants' faces become excited as applause fills the room. Jin-pyo ends the show and we stop recording.

I shake hands and take a few pictures with the contestants before heading out of the studio and back into the car.

--- --- ---

Rosé POV

Blackpink is currently rehearsing the choreography for songs off our next album, Paradise. We all stop to take a five-minute break when Lee walks into our rehearsal gym with a guy next to her. "Ladies this is Kang Youngsuk," Lee says introducing the man, "He's a new trainee under UMGA and the executives wanted him to meet you all."

"Hello, Blackpink," Youngsuk says bowing, "I am Kang Youngsuk but most people just refer to me as Khan."

We all bow back to him. "Hello Khan I am Jisoo and this is Jennie, Lisa, and Rosé," Jisoo says introducing us.

"Yes, I'm very familiar with all of you. Blackpink inspired me to audition for UMGA. I've been a Blink since Square One."

"That's awesome!" Lisa says, a big smile on her face. "Now, the real question. Who's your bias?" Lisa teases causing Khan to blush before throwing a quick glance my way. We all laugh, easing the tension in the room and I blush. He's cute I'll admit but I'm with Y/N so it doesn't matter.

We all chat for a little while and exchange phone numbers with him so that way he can contact us if he needs help with anything during training since he's a solo act and thus has no group-mates to lean on. Eventually, he and Lee leave and we get ready to continue rehearsing.

"So, he's cute," Jisoo says.

"Yeah but he likes Roooosssssiiiiieeeee," Lisa says, teasing me.

"So what? I'm with Y/N, so nothing's going to happen," I tell her.

"Ok," Lisa says and we all go back to rehearsing.

--- --- ---

Y/N POV

I head into the Eternal recording booth and, feeling inspired to write, I throw on one of the beats I've been trying to write on for my next album before hopping into the booth.

"Yeah, most of my life's full of sad days, started at a young age. Yeah, bought a house but I've been livin' on stage, tryna find the real me, I ain't found it yet. Wake up every morning feelin' like I'm guilty. Talk to God, "Can you hear me?" Lately, I'm a mess. I don't want no one to help me. Yeah, I don't want no one to help me and if you think that I make decisions based off of what you think, then you're wrong. Can't nobody think for me, I got my own thoughts. Sometimes you don't know what you had until it's all gone, 'til it's all gone. If I took the hand that was dealt me then I would be nowhere in life. Yeah, I had to think smart. Threw away the deck and got my own cards. Long before I had the money to afford a car. I..." I continue on rapping and singing and before I know it I've written out the entire song. I exit the booth and I hear a slow clap from my doorway and look up to see Greg leaning against the door jam.

"Sounds good, just come up with that now?" He asks.

"Yeah, just kinda came to me."

"Kinda somber don't you think?" Greg says as he pulls up a chair and backward on it so that he's straddling the back of the chair. "What's been going on bro?"

I sigh, "I'm trying man. I'm trying to run this label, make good music, be a good friend, and be a good boyfriend and it seems like I've been doing all those right except for the last one. Rosie and I are constantly fighting and I don't know what to do to fix it."

"You have to try and make time for her," Greg tells me.

"I do though! It's not every day but I make her breakfast when we don't have to be to work early and I try to have one dinner date with her a month. Granted work has caused me to miss a few months lately, but we were gearing up for Trinity's debut and I had to work with Mnet for the competition. She keeps saying that I don't care about her which is so far from the truth. I don't know what I'd do without her."

Greg and I sit there, the air in the room heavy, "I can't lose her bro."