Chapter 13

Avery Adley

Friday flew by. Much like Thursday Mr. Adley didn't bother me.
However, I can't shake the feeling that that's not a good thing.

I don't think he's made a decision or told mother and Leah about Oliver wanting to marry me instead.
As for me, I don't have a choice. This is all out of my hands.

But why would he want to marry me?
Leah would be the perfect trophy wife, except for her partying.
She's great at socialising and getting on people's good side. She looks like she belongs on a red carpet.

Then there's me. Sure I'm productive and efficient at work, but outside I'm a mess. I'm afraid of my own shadow most of the time.
After Mr. Adley and what he's done, the situations he's put me in... I'm a shadow of my former self.
The Adley's have been successful in tearing me down until there is nothing left.
They broke me. Shattered the already cracked pieces.

I continued my work, it wasn't too busy. I had completed a lot the night before.

"Avery?" Aaron's voice pulled me away from my thoughts.

I looked up and gave him a polite smile. I didn't know what to think after his outburst.

"Are you okay?" Concern was etched in his face. "You seemed to have spaced out."

"Oh no, I'm fine. I was just lost in my thoughts."

"Okay." He smiled and lifted a paper bag. "I brought lunch!"

"Thank you. You didn't have to do that." I sat back in my chair.

"I wanted to." He plonked himself down onto the grey seat across from me and rummaged through the bag. He pulled out two sandwiches, two waters and two apples. "So what are you up to this weekend?"

"Russell is dragging me out tonight." A smile played at my lips. He's always been the one to drag me out of the house.
Mr. Adley would only really give him permission. If I asked he would turn it down. I don't know why he wants me so isolated. I don't know why he wants to control me so desperately.
Yes, I know a lot about his business, but is that it?

"Oh. I see." Aaron seemed disappointed. His lips formed a grim line. "Where are you going?"

"I don't really know." I chuckled. "He just said a club somewhere or something."

"Right." He nodded but I could see his jaw clenching.

We ate in silence. Being alone with him was starting to make me uneasy. The way he looked at me with an unreadable expression, his anger made me feel like I had to be cautious.
A couple of red flags had been waving in the back of my mind.

"Thanks for lunch, Aaron." I smiled. "But I better get back to-"

"Avery!" Mr. Adley's voice screamed through the intercom.

I sighed and got up. Aaron stood and caught my arm as I walked past him. My breath hitched in my throat. He was too close for comfort.

"Aaron?" I couldn't read the look in his eyes. "I have to go."

His jaw clenched and his grip tightened before he released me.
I continued walking to Mr. Adley's office.

"Sir?"

"Get me a meeting with Sova Communications." He ordered.

I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat and tried to steady my shaking hands.

"Yes Sir." My voice trembled.

"Make it a lunch. You won't be required."

I breathed a huge sigh of relief. "Of course."

I went back to my office to find Aaron gone.
Mr. Adley left early and I finished my work at 6pm. Which was a rarity.

"Avery!" Russell called. "You ready to go?"

I smiled and nodded before turning everything off and locking up.

"Are you getting ready at home?" I asked as we walked to the elevator.

"Yep!" He smiled. "Mom wants to have a quick dinner."

"I see."

We made it home after the drive. Russell decided to sing along to some cheesy 90s music.
He's a terrible singer.

"We'll have some dinner and then get ready." I nodded and put my things in my room. I kicked off my shoes and went back downstairs where Russell and mother were having a discussion.
Instead of interrupting them I decided to see Gerard.

"Bonsoir Avery. Le dîner sera bientôt prêt."
(Good evening Avery. Dinner will be ready soon.)

"Je suis impatient d'y être." I smiled up at him. Gerard returned the smile. His eyes crinkle slightly around his brown orbs.
(I'm looking forward to it.)

When dinner was finished I helped Gerard place the plates of risotto in the dining room and sat in my place next to Russell.

Russell and mother continued talking. It was mostly gossip and trends.
Apparently the wife of Franklin Werner, CEO of the famous hotel chain and the head of one of the most influential families, was having an affair with Noel Gallagher who also happens to be the competition in the hotel business.
I tuned out after that and focused on the delicious chicken and mushroom risotto.

"My god Avery!" Mother exclaimed. "You surely don't need to eat all of that! What will people think?! You're already overweight enough as it is!"

"Mother!" Russell scowled at her. "Avery is perfect as she is now! If anything she needs to put on weight!"

Mother snorted in response.

I pushed my plate away and sighed.
"Avery finish your meal." Russell said softly.

"Its fine Russell, I was finished." I smiled softly at him. "Please excuse me, I'll go and get ready."
Without another word I stood from my seat and climbed the stairs.

I scanned my wardrobe and pursed my lips.
I need something appropriate but will cover my bruises. The one around my neck is still visible so I need something that will cover it.
I've just been wearing turtlenecks and scarves.
After going through a few options I found a long sleeve, wine red sequined backless dress.
It was high neck and tied up at the back of the neck.

I thought it was perfect. I just hope I don't have any bruises showing on my back.

I showered, blow dried my hair and tied it up.
My make up was slightly heavier. I used smokey eyeshadow with a touch of burgundy and nude lipstick.
I dressed and slipped on a pair of strappy black heels.
I put my phone, ID, bank card and cash in my clutch.

A knock echoed and I opened the door. "You ready?" Russell said as he tapped away on his phone.

He looked up and scanned me from head to toe. "Lookin' good Cupcake." He smirked. "I'm going to have to keep an eye on you."

I chuckled at him. "You're not so bad yourself Russ."

His white t-shirt was taught and could see his muscles underneath. He wore a fitted blazer and blue jeans. His hair was slightly spiked with minimal effort.
Over all he looked good.
He always looked good. He was a handsome man and actually reminded me of Papa more than Mr. Adley.

"Let's go!" He exclaimed and held his arm out. I accepted his arm and we walked down the stairs. "Now, please don't kill me."

I looked up at him in confusion.
"Ready?" A shrill impatient voice came from the bottom of the stairs.
Leah stood there with her arms crossed and her ridiculous platforms tapping on the ground.

She adjusted her white halterneck dress. It it barely made it past mid thigh with a slit reaching the upper thigh.

I groaned and frowned.
"I'm sorry, she found out we were going and demanded to come." Russell explained with a heavy sigh.

"It's fine." I sighed.

It's going to be a long night.