Chapter 44

Avery Adley

I slipped my black heels on after fixing my skirt and blouse.
Today, I was going to work for Oliver.

My stitches were removed and the bruises faded enough to be hidden under make up.
There were still shadows but you could only notice them if you looked closely.

I tied my hair in its usual high pony tail and walked down the stairs.
Oliver was waiting for me by the elevator.

"Ready?" He asked and looked up. He smirked as he looked me up and down. "My girl is back."

I blushed to which he chuckled at.
I felt like a teenager in high school with a crush.
My heart fluttered as he grabbed my hand.

"Clara will run through a few things with you." He said as we entered the lift. "Things probably run differently than what your used to."

"I'm sure I'll adjust."

"Of course you will." He nodded to himself.

The doors opened and we walked across the lobby.
Paparazzi and reporters gathered around outside, while the security held them off.

When they saw us they went into a frenzy.
The camera flashes nearly blinded me.
They screamed questions over one another.

You would think we were scandalous Hollywood celebrities.

Most of them directed their attention to me. I felt ridiculous and uncomfortable with their questions and attention.
No one had seen me out for a good while and questions and rumours were growing out of control.

I was asked if I was sick or pregnant, if Oliver and I had broken up and gotten back together.
I was also asked about Leah.
She had apparently started making wild claims about a relationship between her and Oliver. She painted herself to be a victim. Hurt by me who got in the way of their relationship.

That in turn further raised questions about our relationship.

A rough hand grabbed my wrist as we walked through the chaos. Panic filled me as I failed to pull my arm out of the hold.

"Miss Adley! What do you have to say about your sisters statements on your relationship? What about Mr. Black?" He fired off questions. I kept trying to pull my arm away. "Is what she said about your suicide attempt true? That you just did it for attention?"

My eyes widened.
Oliver stepped forward and gripped his forearm in a bone crushing hold.
The man winced and his hand loosened. 

Tony, one of Oliver's body guards tried to usher me to the car.

I looked back at Oliver. His murderous glare sent shivers down my spine.

"Oliver," I gently held his arm, slightly trembling. "We need to go."

Oliver let go and wrapped an arm around my waist.

"Get him away from here." He growled at one of the guards. "Find out what magazine he works for."

We climbed into the SUV.