Chapter 45

Oliver Black

I looked at the phone in Avery's palm and back to her face.
All the colour drained from her face and the fear that took so long to wash away was back.

I picked up the phone without a word. I hit answer and held it up to my ear only to have to pull it away again. This man had a way of making himself heard.

"You better be dead in a goddamn ditch somewhere, girl!" Adley snapped. "I know full well you're still at Blacks.
You need to get to work and sort out Leah's fucking mess, now! You hear me?! I will make you look 10 times worse than when you left the damn office!" Avery winced as he yelled into the phone. "What? Are you deaf too?! You useless moron. Honestly what good are you? I can't do anything with you. Hell, you can't even show my partners a good time. What good is having a pus-"

"Why don't you keep your disgusting thoughts to yourself, Adley?" I growled.

Avery looked at me with uncertainty.

"Black." He breathed out but began laughing. "I see she's got you wrapped around her little finger." He scoffed. "Figures. Just like her whore of a mother."

A flicker of anger went through Avery's grey eyes. I almost thought I was seeing things.

I gently rubbed her shoulder and arm as she gripped the desktop. Her tense shoulders eased slightly.

"We all know you didn't think that when you were in love with her." I said mockingly. Avery's eyes widened considerably.

She didn't know...

I was met with silence. I could imagine him red faced and grinding his teeth.

"Listen her-"

"No, you listen here." My voice was dangerous and threatening. "If you so much as breathe in Avery's presence, I will rip you apart."

Disgusting laughter met my ears.

"Your days are numbered, old man." I hung up the phone and passed it back to Avery.

"I'm getting you a new phone and number." I pulled Avery into me. Her delicate arms wrapped around my waist.

I was really enjoying our little makr out session there...

I sighed into her hair and kissed her shoulder.

"Was what you said true?" Avery asked.

"About Adley and your Mom?"

She nodded her head.

"Yes, Russell told us about it."

Avery leaned back and ran her hand along her smooth tied back red hair.
She let out a humourless chuckle.

"She always hated him." She shook her head. "Papa wasn't his biggest fan either. Both him and Maman kept it civil, though." Avery exhaled. "I never would have thought... with the way he spoke about her..."

"He's bitter and jealous." I said. "He doesn't seem like a person who wasn't used to getting what he wants."

Avery nodded but she couldn't hide sadness and fear in her eyes as she looked down.