Chapter 49

Oliver Black

Something was up with Avery.

She was avoiding looking me in the eye, she would blush randomly, and some times even avoid me at all cost. What's worse was, she barely spoke to me.

I was beginning to feel incredibly pissed off and frustrated. I could only think it was because of the other night, but she was fine the next day.

Erica and Tom had stayed around so I couldn't find the right time to talk to her.

I watched as Erica and Tom sat by the pool.
Erica was smiling and happy and Tom was probably cracking lame jokes.

I really hope it lasts this time.

Last time they had a fight Erica came to me a sobbing wreck.
This time, she hadn't even told anyone where she was going.
Mom rang me to see if I heard from her.
Tom didn't even realise she was gone until I called him. He was off somewhere working, as usual.

I berated the son of a bitch and told him to get his ass here before I convinced Erica to file for divorce.

He swore until he was blue in the face that he hadn't been cheating or doing anything behind Erica's back.
I remained suspicious.

Tom knew very well that if he did any such thing I would give him a slow and painful death.
He was lucky he didn't have a black eye already.

I looked around and wondered where Avery was. She didn't show any interest in swimming since Tom was here.
I assumed it was because of the bruises she still had. She didn't even like looking at them herself, let alone other people.

I sighed and took a sip of beer.

"Where's Avery?" Tom asked coming up beside me.

"I don't know."

"Trouble in paradise?" He nudged my ribs and cocked an eyebrow.

"Tom, worry about your own paradise first." I stood up from my seat.

"Sorry, man." He raised his hands in surrender. "And thanks for calling me."

"I swear Tom, if I see my little sister cry like that one more time I'll make sure you're in the hospital for a month." I watched as he inaudibly
gulped and nodded his head.

I walked through the house and found Avery asleep on our bed. Her hair fanned out behind her and over the pillows as she lay on her side.
I climbed up behind her. She flinched slightly when I wrapped my arm around her waist.

"It's just me." I whispered. "Go back to sleep." I planted a kiss on her shoulder.

A small hum left her lips and she was back in a deep sleep.

I didnt sleep, I just enjoyed having her small body in my arms.
Avery had been putting on weight recently, much to my relief.
She looked healthier.

It was beyond me. I couldn't understand how Russell never realised. He saw her the most.

I couldn't really talk, I knew something was up, but I should have pushed and realised when I noticed all those bruises pop up. How she would flinch and shy away and her aversion to being touched were all signs.

I don't blame her for not telling anyone, but I wish she did.
I know Adley threatened Alissa. She couldn't escape without someone getting hurt one way or another.
If she left he probably would have black listed her from any business and dragged her back by her hair.

It still made me angry. I knew if I saw Adley or even his daughter and wife, I would be the one who ended up in jail instead. They're lucky Sam talked me out of becoming a homicidal maniac.