Chapter 41

Avery Adley

I was awakened by my own screams. I opened my eyes and saw Oliver leaning over me.
My vision was kind of blurry. I couldn't open my right eye very well, but I could see his whole face had concern etched into his handsome features. Relief washed over his face and icy blue eyes.

I looked past his shoulder and saw an unfamiliar man standing behind him.
I gripped Oliver's arm and looked at him in alarm.
Tears formed in my eyes and I was pulled into his gentle hold.
My arms roped around his neck.
It was then that I registered the pain that shot through my entire body.

I winced and felt like the wind was knocked out of me.

Oliver supported my body and pulled back. "Does it hurt?"

I nodded my head and leaned on his shoulder and breathed deeply.
I couldn't remember much. I couldn't remember how I left the office.

I looked up and regarded the man in the room warily.
He smiled warmly at me. "Avery, I'm Dr. Klein."

My eyes widened. As much as they could in their swollen state.

"I promise, I'm here to help you."

I shook my head. "I-" I coughed. My throat burned. I cleared my throat.

"Here." Oliver brought a glass of water up to my lips.

I took it in my shaky hands and gulped most of it down.
I sighed. "I can't." My voice was hoarse and every word scratched at my throat. Everything seemed yo come out just above a whisper.

"Why?" Oliver asked and frowned

I shook my head. "It's nothing."

"Is it Adley?" Oliver asked.

I looked up at him wide eyed. I looked down and shook my head again.

Seeing a doctor in this state would mean the police. And that would mean questions and then tha-

I froze.
Oliver. He was staring at my bruised and swollen face and my broken body.

"Avery?" He asked.

I looked up at him and I could feel the hot tears fall down my similarly warm cheeks. "I.. I-" I screwed my eyes shut when the images of everything that happened that night.

Sobs rolled through my body.
I felt so disoriented. My head was all over the place.
Oliver gently rubbed my back.

"What happened? I don't remember leaving the office."

"You caught a cab home, somehow. I found you in the shower freezing cold. You've been in and out of consciousness for two days after a fever and some sedatives." He gestured to the tall lanky gentleman. "Dr. Klein stayed her with us, just be sure you were okay."

"I'm sorry." I whispered. Oliver took the glass out of my hands and placed it on the side table.
He ever-so-gently tilted my head back to look into my eyes.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." He leaned forward and kissed my forehead. I leaned my head back on his shoulder.

"Well, Avery. Tomorrow I want you to get an x-ray." Dr. Klein said. "We need to check your ribs and also make sure you haven't damaged anything else."

"I don't want to." I said firmly.

"Avery, please. You have to." Oliver stated. "I will not argue about this."

"I don't like hospitals."

The last time I was in one was after I had tried to commit suicide. Before that was after the fire. I would rather not relive memories from either.