8. Deja Vu

With mother back home and a very lively doll to keep her company, Kori was very much more well behaved than before. Waking up with mother early and enjoying learning gardening, one would have thought Demeter had replaced her daughter with a clone. With her daughter being so cooperative, Demeter grew fond of the idea of flowers blooming at night, and helped Kori perfect her projects.

Months went by as such, nothing extraordinary happening any day or after. Soon enough though, they were less than two weeks away from Kori's birthday, the one celebrated most after the homecoming. Entertainment picked up when everyday, more and more guests arrived, meaning more friends and cousins and relatives to play with and to bother. Kori soon forgot about the incarnated doll, and the blue ghost returned to its physical form.

It was Sunday, five days before the big 08. All the family, meaning the big five and their present brood, sat together for dinner. This Sunday though, unlike most Sundays, there was a vacant seat on the grown up tables, right next to Zeus. Which was an odd sight for Kori as she walked in since mother Hera was sitting to his right as usual, and there were no more baby mamas at the moment.

Shrugging it off, the little birthday girl went to join her friends at the kids table, between Cupid and Thalia. The three friends instantly began talking of her upcoming birthday. The theme, the colors, the clothes, the games, everything. Halfway through dinner, the dining room doors opened and everything stilled. Definitely someone big and important.

It was.

Everyone stared as Lord Hades made his way to the table, walking in long strides so sure of himself. He was dressed less formal than usual, and even his enveloping blue aura was on mute. No one ate a morsel till the God of the Underworld took his seat next to Zeus.

"Please, continue." Hades said and life returned to the dining room.

The teens table chattered off rumors about the underworld, and even the kids table took interest. Or at least, one kid did.

"I know him!" Kore whispered excitedly to her best friends.

Cupid choked on his food. "You know him?! How could you know him? He's Hades! God of the underworld!"

"I don't know, I just... know him!" Kori protested "I... ugh! Ju... de ja vu."

"De ja vu? What's deja vu?" Thalia asked.

"Um, well it's... it's a feeling. Like you know something from before but you don't know where."

Cupid laughed. "It's a fun word, deja vu."

It didn't last long, the conversation and dinner. Zeus had left his seat to go mingle with someone, allowing Hades to scoot closer to Hera. The kids left their table too, running around playing and bothering. After a long while of this and managing a growing headache, Aphrodite called them over to have a chat. Eros listened attentively to his mother while his best friend strayed, looking wherever else she could.

Eventually her gaze settled on the head table where Hades and Hera sat whispering to each other. The god of the underworld noticed Kori looking their way and wiggled his fingers at her in hello as he sipped his drink. Kore smiled and secretly waved back before Aphrodite snapped her to attention.

"What are you doing?" Hera asked her brother.

"Just saying hello."

"Even if it cost you your fingers? That's Demeter's daughter, Kori."

"I know. We've been hanging out." Hades followed his revelation with a sip of his drink while Hera choked on her own.

"Are you insane? Kori? How in hell have you become friends with her?!"

"Well, ever since she found the secret room after homecoming. She's quite a lively girl. Juxtaposing her mother."

Hera smacked his shoulder.

"Don't you dare! They'll all murder you, you know. She's still everyone's favorite."

"Relaax! I have no ill intentions towards her. She's so precious and naive." He was about to drink to that when Hera took his goblet from him, making sure her fingers crossed over his. Hades watched as the queen goddess finished his drink, her eyes never leaving his face.

Oh boy was he in trouble now!

Hera finished and leaned forward on the table to place the goblet, then seductively looked back at the oldest Olympian.

"And what about me?"

Hades chuckled and dragged his thumb across his nose.

"I think you're intoxicated."

"Ted? Or intoxicating?" She supported her question by tiptoeing her fingers down his thigh.

Hades sighed and grasped the goddess's hand.

"Zeus'll kill me."

Hera laughed aloud, drawing suspicious gazes their way.

"But then again, when have you ever been afraid of him?"

Hades leaned forward and pressed a chaste kiss to her temple, "I'll leave the door open."

He stood from his seat, again halting all life to a stand still. Hades smiled, egoistically proud of his looming authority, and walked to the exit wishing everyone a good night.

Everyone else retired not long after Hades had left, including Demeter and Kori. After slipping into her night clothes in her own, Demeter went to her daughter's room to tuck her in. Kori sat in her bed leaning against her mother as she soothingly brushed her hair, making her sleepy. Exhausted from dinner, the little girl eagerly got into bed.

"Sleep sound, my little petal." Demeter kissed her good night and was almost out the door before she stopped. "Oh and before I forget, Hestia expects to see you sometime tomorrow."

Demeter left the room to a soundly sleeping Kori, but she'd heard what her mother had said. Tonight's dreams reminded Kori why Aunt Hestia was relative to her life and appropriate memories came flooding back. Kori snapped up straight, nervous of her fate tomorrow.

Oh wasn't memory such a blessing.