16. UnderGrounded

After her transgression, Kori was banned from leaving the cottage. On top of it, she had to do all the chores in the house. Kori had to wake up before Demeter, make breakfast, and wake her mother up. Then she had to clean the house from floor to curtain tops, and laundry and stitching and mending for days on end.

Soon it was time for one of Zeus's events, and every god on Olympus was invited. Kori hoped this was excuse enough for her punishment to end, and she could attend the party, but mother wasn't done. Kori spent days stitching herself a party dress, with bows and pearls and flowers. Finally it was the day of the party, and Kori was excited to show her mother the dress she'd made.

Demeter was in the garden, just about ready to go when Kori came down wearing her dress.

"Oh, how lovely do you look, love!"

"Thank you, mother!" Kori twirled, showing off her skirt.

"I made it myself."

"What's it for?"

In an instant, Kori sobered up.

"What do you mean, what is it for? The party tomorrow!" Kori dreaded what her mother might say next.

"Oh, but you're not going!"

"No! Please!" Kori fell to her feet. "You can't punish me anymore!"

"Don't be so dramatic, Kori. It's one night. There's always another party in Olympus."

"But mother, please!"

"It's final, Kori. You don't have to do chores anymore, but you will not be attending this party. Oh, look. There's my chariot."

Kori stayed fallen on the grass, watching her mother leave. The chariot left and Kori leaned on the bench, crying herself to sleep.

"Hello? Anyone here?" A voice cried out, finally awakening Kore.

"Kori?" The person shook her shoulder and Kore looked up, surprised to see that it was day already.

"Hermes?"

"Oh, look at that dress!" Hermes picked her up and sat her her on the bench. "It was beautiful! A shame that you weren't there last night."

"M-mother was punishing me." Kori wiped her face and sat up on the bench.

"What are you doing here"

"Oh, I was delivering a message from Poseidon to the rest of the group." He scratched the back of his head. "I guess your mother's still at Olympus."

"Yeah. I-I can put it in her office."

"A-actually, I have just one more stop then I'll be back to Olympus. I can give it to her there." Hermes began walking back to the gate.

"Oh. Where are you going next, if I may ask?"

Hermes shivered.

"The Underworld." He said darkly.

Kori perked as if Hermes had said Aphrodite's garden.

"Can I come with?!"

Hermes was shocked.

"Are you crazy? You want to go to down there?"