11. Birthday

Finally it was the day of Kori's birth. The castle on Olympus was decorated in flowers, honoring the young goddess of spring. All morning, Kori could not decide on what to wear. Everything in her closet had been worn before, and what hadn't been worn, did not fit her taste. By noon, Demeter left to the nymphs and went out to oversee her duties and welcome guests. Kori had emptied her entire closet and her mother's, but couldn't settle on a single outfit.

Exhausted, she frumped on the bed and swung her legs anxiously. As if the fates had answered her prayers, she felt her feet kick something underneath her bed. Instantly, Kori got down and pulled out a jet black box. It weighed nothing in her hands, and curiously she opened it. She gasped as she lifted the top; the underside of the lid held the seal of Hades, glowing blue in the center of the velvet black lid. In the box itself there was a folded garment, on top of which was a card.

For your next swim.

Aidoneus

Quickly discarding the box, she unfolded the cloth in her hand. The unnoticed box dissipated. All that remained was the card. Without a second thought, Kori undressed and put on the black tunic. It was a close fit, falling no longer than her knees. It would allow her free movement in the water, and not threaten to pull her under.

"I want to wear this!" Kori yelled and her maids came rushing in relieved, only to halt at the door.

"P-princess. That's not a dress for public." A brave nymph spoke, though her cheeks prickled pink.

"Well, make it suitable for presentation. I'll wear this, or nothing at all!"

Her threat worked and quickly the maids helped her into another dress while they set about mending the black one. They couldn't for the life of them sow something on it, so they resigned to make an accessorizing robe. All the while Kori held on dearly to the card, feeling honored that Hades had used his real name with her. When the maids were at last done, Kori made sure to hide the card in a keepsake box before running to get dressed.

The gown she put on was white, with plenty of floral appliqués. It had no front, leaving the black tunic on display as the sleeves ran down her arms into a loose petal drop cuff. For modesty, the gown closed at her belly button, dropping into a pleated high low skirt.

"Now that is more appropriate for a 108th birthday." A new nymph said as she began fixing Kore's hair.

Finally it was time for the party. Kori would be led in by her father, while her friends trailed behind them. Zeus would sit on his throne, Kori to his right, and then her friends would in turn present dances in her honor. The nymphs led her to the doors where her father was waiting to greet her. When he turned, Zeus was amazed at how pretty his daughter looked. He greeted her with a kiss on the cheek and held her hands.

"Each year you look wonderful, but I think this is your best look yet!"

"As do I, father!" She replied as she twisted side to side, showing off her skirts.

"Shall we?" Zeus offered his arm and Kori slipped her hand into his bent elbow.

All poised, Zeus knocked on the door and it opened with fanfare as the king and princess walked in. While Zeus held is gaze on his throne, Kori looked every which way, smiling and waving at the other gods. She very happily showed off her new dress to her mother in passing, who gave her two thumbs up. By then, the two were at the front, and obviously Kori spotted lord Hades sitting next to Zeus's throne. His nod and brow raise let her know he recognized what she wore, and Kori smiled and bowed her head to him in gratitude.