13. Letters to Romeo

Kori visited all her friends one last time, leaving them each with a flower they could remember her with. She saved her best friend for last, if he would even see her. Kore's chariot arrived at Aphrodite's Castle and the Goddess herself was at the door to receive her. Aphrodite stood open armed and Kori ran to hug her.

"I wish I didn't have to go!" Kori cried.

"Oh, and how we wish Demeter would let you stay, but she's hard to bargain with, your mother. But we will be seeing you for your birthdays, and Homecomings of course?"

''Definitely!" Kori cheered up for a moment, but then her frown returned. "Do you think he'll see me?"

"If he doesn't, he's sure to regret it. Why don't you go up to his room now? And stop by my room before you go, hmm?"

Kori helped herself through Aphrodite's castle, going to her best friend's room.

"Eros, are you in?" She announced and knocked before going in.

Cupid lay in his bed, pouting and turned away from his best friend.

"I'm leaving today, Cupe. I was wishing if we could play together one last time?"

''Why do you even have to go?!"

"You know mother is making me! I would never ever leave Olympus if I had the choice."

"Seems to me you're getting what you've always wanted. And leaving me behind while you're at it."

"Fine! If that's the way you think! I'm leaving today, whether or not any of us like it. If you still think me your best friend and wish to play with me, I'll be here till sunset and then you'll never see me again!" Kori stormed out the room, making sure to slam the door on her way out.

Aphrodite heard her crying and called Kori into her room.

"Now, what gift shall I give to you today?"

Kori took her time to think, and then it came to her.

"Do you have magic ink?"

"Magic ink? What use would you have for it?"

"To write letters, of course! Without my mother spying on me. If I've addressed it to Cupe, only he should be able to see it!"

"I see." Aphrodite chuckled. "I may be able to help with that. Have any color in mind?" She asked us she set to work.

"Purple!"

"Purple it is!" Aphrodite repeated as she worked over a magic ink pot. Kori watched with amazement as the colors burst and clouded as Aphrodite filled the pot.

"There we are my dear. A bottomless pot of magic purple ink. Do write to me, my love. I always enjoy a good story from the mortal realm."

Kori thanked Aphrodite for her gift and the goddess was walking her back out to the chariot when they were ambushed by Eros. The cherub clung to his best friend, refusing to let her go. Aphrodite was overwhelmed by all the love surrounding her and sent them both to Demeter.

The two friends were joined by the rest of their group at Demeter's tower, having as much fun as they could before Kori had to go. The goodbye was tearful for all, even Zeus and Hera came to say goodbye. The king tried one last attempt to make his daughter stay, but could only compromise with Demeter. Hera secretly assured Kori that she would be welcome to the school when Kori would be old enough. Demeter, meanwhile, had other plans.

It didn't take the goddesses long to reach their earthly home. Demeter's nymphs greeted them and took their bunks into the villa. Kori followed her mother around the place and once she found her room, the young goddess closed the door and collapsed on the bed. She fell asleep crying, waking up when it was just before night. Immediately, Kori remembered her magic ink and quickly sat down to write her letters before she missed the opportunity to send them. It took a long time to pen down her thoughts, but she finished her letters just in time as Selena stopped by.