August 1996

The warm California summer air blew across my face as I sat in the passenger seat of Fever's car.
"Billie!" Fever's voice breaks me from my daze. "It's our song." She says as I begin to hear the familiar sound of "Basket Case" come through the speakers. Fever turned the music up and I watched as she moved to the beat and dramatically sang along to the words filling the space around us. Everything about her was perfect.
"Hey Fever, where are we going anyways?"
"What?" She yelled over the music turning it down.
"I said, where are we going?" My voice came out a lot harsher than I had meant it to.
"Jeez what's up with today Billie?" She sounded a little hurt.
"I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound so harsh, I just wanted to know where you're taking me."
"It's a surprise." She smirked seeming to forget I had been a little harsh on her. I rolled my eyes, sighed and went back to looking out the window. I watched the scenery fly by for around another half hour. "Close your eyes." Fever said. I listened to my friend and let my eyelids fall. I felt the car come to a stop moments later. "You can open your eyes now." I opened my eyes to find us parked in front of a music store.
"What's this for?" I asked her.
"Well I figured since it's almost your birthday I would get you something you've always wanted." She smiled her beautiful smile at me.
"You're kidding right?" My voice rose with excitement.
"Nope, now come on." She dragged me into the store. Fever pushed open the doors and it was like I had just been accepted into heaven. The store clerk saying "can I help you?" To wandering customers, the older woman looking at equipment most likely for her son or daughter, the tone deaf teenage boy who thinks he can play attempting to master "Smoke On The Water" but miserably failing, the 5 year old playing with the keyboards as his father tries to calm him down. All of this made me feel alive in a strange but satisfying way. This store felt like home to me.
"You really don't have t-"
"But I am." Fever cut me off before I could finish my sentence. "Pick any one you'd like." She smiles that smile at me again.
"But-"
"No buts Billie, this is my gift to you."
"Thank you." I hug her.
"Can I help you ladies?" The store employee said interrupting our hug.
"We're actually looking for a guitar for this one." Fever said pointing to me, causing my face go hot, I imagine I looked like fresh tomato. My eyes wandered to the employees name tag, Dave.
"First guitar?" Dave asked. I nodded trying to hide inside myself. "Follow me I've got one you'll love." Fever and I followed Dave towards the back of the store. I watched his hands as he reached up to grab the instrument. He brought the guitar down to eye level, I could feel my eyes widen as I reached out to take the black beauty being handed to me. "Try it out." Dave told me. I looked from him to the guitar with excitement as I placed the strap over my shoulder and took the cord Dave was holding out. I strummed out some easy riffs to start out. The instrument felt so natural in my hands. "You're good kid." Dave said.
"I'll take it." I looked up to find Dave, Fever, the tone-deaf teenager, the older woman, the little boy, and his dad all looking in my direction.
"Hi, I'm Cameron." The little boy came up to me
"Hi, Cameron." I smiled down at him. "I'm Billie."
"Billie, you're really good." His cute little 5 year old voice came out high pitched. "Will you sign this?" He hands me a drawing he'd done in the corner of the store. I hadn't noticed he'd been coloring. I took the piece of paper. "It's you" he said. I smiled and knelt down looking at the stick figure playing guitar in the middle of a scribble guitar shop. He handed me a crayon and placed the paper on the floor attempting to scribble out a signature.
For Cameron,
XOXO Billie.
"Thank you so much." Cameron squealed and ran off.
"Gained another fan." Fever said as i stood back up watching Cameron gossip to his dad, shoving the drawing in his face.
"Yeah I guess so."
"Rightfully so." Dave interjected. "You've got skills."
"Let's get this thing paid for." Fever pulls the guitar off me and carries it away. Something was off about her that day but I couldn't put my finger on it. I followed her to the counter, Dave not far behind. I watched Fever dig through her wallet seeming agitated.
"Hey, I'm Todd." The tone-deaf teenager came up behind us.
"No." I said as he opened his mouth to speak again. I turn to face him, give him a little smile, his expression drops, and he slumps out of the store. Before I knew it Fever pushed past me, guitar in hand.
"Uh, have a nice day Dave." I said running after Fever.
"You too kid." He calls after me.
"Fever what's up with you today?" I asked breathless.
"Nothing." She put the guitar in the backseat and climbed into the driver's seat. I frowned and got in the car next to her. She sped off and i couldn't help but wonder why she was acting this way