February 2002

I was 22 and walking down the same old streets I'd once called home in the California weather. I tossed the cigarette from between my lips to ground and crushed it with my toes. I had given up weed a couple years ago and was now 2 years clean. I walked by my mothers house, my sisters outside with my nieces and nephews. They didn't notice me, I had changed so much since I'd seen them. I headed towards a familiar part of town and was nearing that house. That house with that girl and that old whatshisface and that little boy they'd had. It had been 5 years how had I not moved on. I wanted so desperately to move on. 5 years ago I was still in love with my best friend and now I had no one. My band was successful at this point in time and I had met a boy at one of our shows. I talked to him almost everyday but he wasn't from California. He also still had a girlfriend so yet again I had no one. Right at that moment everything around me stopped and my mind went back to 1996.
...
The wind blew my hair out of my face as I sat in the passenger seat of Fevers truck. I had my knee pulled up to my chest and my finger laced through my dirty best up converse the other hand picking at the ripped jeans covering my legs. The music was blaring as Fever sped down the road, we were headed east and we didn't care. No one could stop us. It was us against the whole goddamn world. We had been driving for at least 3 days at this point, and both of us may have been a bit on the tired side.
"Let's stop somewhere and get some rest." She said to me. I wasn't paying attention so she just pulled up somewhere.

...

I was thrown from my thoughts when I ran face first into a streetlight pole. I rubbed my forehead and everything went black. Moments later my eyes flew open and the sun went right into my face, blinding me. I threw my hands to my face to block out the sun and caught  a glimpse of someone standing above me. i knew exactly who it was.
"Looks like little miss Tommy's Girl got what she deserved for once."
"Shut up, you used to do it too, AND I'M CLEAN"