Chapter 2 ~ Interrogation

Something is wrong. I already know it. The first thing I smelt was smoke. Death too. The sickening scent of blood and the things that should be on the inside of the body. Slowly, screams echoed in my head, growing ever louder. Gunfire followed, explosions rattled the ground. My eyes open wide, fear running through me.

   I sat up quickly, gasping in fear. I whip my head around, coming to my senses. It was the battlefield. Laying beside me was a young canine, his brown-orange fur and military gloves were soaked in red liquid. More of the substance continued to leak from the blooming flower in his chest, flowing out his mouth from his punctured lung. I felt the urge to vomit. I look down at myself, crawling away from him, trying to get as far from the dead body and discovering the reason I was unconscious. Red, hot, thick syrup-like liquid dripped from my gloves, tons covered my bullet-proof grey vest too. My hands shake out of control, like I was having a seizure. I breathe rapidly to withhold the screams while I lift the vest off me.

   I throw the vest away from me, still looking down at myself. My undershirt was soaked too. I scream. Slowing down my breathing and heartrate was out of the question, I was panicking.

   Someone's final scream fills the air. I turn to it, there was no one there. A moment later, somebody's singed body lands on my legs. I yell again, kicking it off and crawling away. I pat down my legs, feeling for my pistol. It was missing from its holster. When my hand went to my belt, the clip that should be attached to my assault rifle was missing. My combat knife was missing too. How is everything gone? I check my boot, I always keep a knife strapped to my ankle. Luckily, it remained, and I held the knife for dear life.

   Loud clanks and crunching rubble fill my right ear, I turn to it. There were two Eggman robots approaching me. I scramble to my feet, forcing my body into a fighting stance. One was closer to me, I jumped on its head, and stabbed my knife into the thing's optics, I kick it to jump to the next one. I brought down my blade into its head as hard as I could several times until it eventually collapsed to the ground. I roll on the ground as it fell. My head felt light, my breathing hasn't slowed down, and my grip on my knife tightened.

   Somebody grabbed my shoulders, the knife has vanished from my hands, being swapped away, and I'm looking into a Mobian's eyes. But he was blurry. I knew I was hyperventilating, he was saying something, but my brain was delayed, unable to form words out of what he said. His hands sent signals off, body yelling "danger". I yell at him to get away from me and try to push him off, but no actual words formed, and he only grabbed my wrists and pinned me down on the concrete. Metal pins down my legs when I tried to kick. Now, I am forced to see the face of the man, but black spots filled my vision, and covered most of his face.

   "Just breathe! I'm not a robot!" he assures, but his tone was rough, cold, insouciant.

   He may not be, but this position still made me panic. Whether he was on our side or not, I squirmed and fought against him. Fainting felt like a possibility, and I tried to take steady breaths, but the thought of the battlefield brought unbelievable anxiety, the thought of my comrade who bled out in my arms was still seared into my brain. I crush my eyes shut, I felt water drip down one side of my face. I never even noticed I was crying.

   My breathing slowed slightly, but I felt sick. Like I was going to black out from hyperventilating and vomit from the deaths I've seen all at once. Another feeling of disgust filled me; the fact that I was useless to save my comrade. Guilt, dread. Uselessness.

   I open my eyes again; the grip had loosened slightly. I had no idea who I was looking at. It was a canine of sorts, with notable fangs and large ears. They had heterochromia, one eye a relaxing blue, a large scar ran over it, covering most of the right side of his face. The large slash had cut a bit onto his white muzzle. His other, left eye was an intimidating and alarming bright yellow. Almost unnatural. And familiar...