Chapter 3 ~ 72 Hours

Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Amy, Knuckles. Rouge, Espio, Vector, Charmy, Tails... one of them betrayed us. One of these people did something terrible. Infinite is rooted to one of these Resistance members. This has been plaguing my mind for an hour, trying to figure out the puzzle in my head. I had been able to narrow it down a bit, since Charmy is too young to cause too much trouble. Tails, he isn't much of the destructive type, along with Espio, he is careful with his movements and actions. I haven't known the Resistance very long, and I'm not as close with everyone as others, so this makes it a bit more difficult to figure out who could do something like this. Amy and Silver are only willing to fight if necessary, being more of a pacifist if anything. Amy had only been in the field once or twice the whole time I've been with them, mentioning that she had been through a traumatic experience and is fearful of going out in the field.

That leaves Knuckles, Vector, Rouge, Sonic and Shadow. While Rouge can be... pushy to get what she wants, she's smart enough to have some knowledge of the consequences of her choices. Vector rarely travels without Charmy and Espio, they would watch over him and prevent him from doing harm. That narrows it down to three: Knuckles, Sonic, and Shadow. Knuckles is more destructive of the warriors I know – all these three are – but he shows sincere kindness to people. Knuckles wouldn't do direct harm to someone unless they angered him, or they were an immanent threat. Sonic and Shadow remain. Sonic is... many things. Jaunty, irreverent, cocky. Somehow that makes him the perfect hero. I am uncertain about him, Infinite seems to carry a sort of grudge with him, but Sonic is his enemy, that's natural, I guess. It would likely be wrong, but my gut told me it couldn't have been Sonic.

Shadow. I know seven things about Shadow, and one of them is that I know next to nothing about him. He is a similar silhouette to Sonic, yet his personality the complete opposite. He is a great warrior. Able to manipulate Chaos Control. He is a loner. Wears rings on his wrists and ankles for reasons that I haven't asked about. And finally, he is overly blunt and has the most flexible morals.

Could he have made enemies with the wrong person? It seems plausible. A part of me wants to think that Infinite was lying. Even if I don't know too much about Shadow and we have only had a few conversations – since we are both the quiet types it was mostly glances – I don't want him, or anybody in the Resistance to have been responsible for corrupting somebody and turning them into a murderer. We are supposed to be the good guys. If one of us hurt Infinite, or anyone, so deeply to make them go to these extreme ends... then everything changes. We aren't are good as we claim. And it could make us more like the enemy, blurring the line between us.

I abruptly stand up from my sitting position when I hear the cell door open. I look up to the door. Infinite stood there the door closing behind him. There weren't any bodyguards with him, no fakes.

I put my hands in fists, though I doubt my aching arms could throw a proper punch. I likely won't be able to put up a good fight either. Infinite can create restraints and summon minions at any moment.  What chances do I have?

"What's next on the agenda?" I glare, sarcasm dripping from my words.

Infinite merely crosses his arms and stares at me, silent. He seemed like he was... dazing out? Thinking about something else though his gaze rested on me, pinning me under it. It was like he was pondering, like he might be debating killing me, but decided against it, like it wasn't worth the trouble or effort. Probably because he wants me alive for a bit longer. For his personal use. Or entertainment. Who knew? I'm expendable. There would be another recruit to replace me, and they would probably have better worth than me.

"You wait," Infinite replied. I wait? "Either the Resistance give me what I desire, or they receive live footage of you being ripped apart." I stare in disgust and horror, my heart pounding in my throat, throbbing in my ears. I couldn't help but feel like I somehow caused this. I was foolish enough to wander out into a field when night was arriving, alone. Now my team must decide my fate, I could never imagine myself being able to make a choice like that about someone.