Chapter 10 ~ Belonging

I don't belong here. Hera gives me a warm smile as she tended to her herbs. I fiddle with a napkin placed on the oak kitchen table I was seated at. I'm an outsider, why are they showing me such empathy? I ended up tearing the napkin up into tiny little pieces. A part of me felt bad for making a mess but the rest was still calm and unworried by the "burning sage" Hera used.

"You okay there?"

I glance up. Across from me was the brown hedgehog—Alannah she was acknowledged as by Hera. She had her arms and legs crossed while she sat back in her seat, staring through me. I didn't want to smile so I just gave a thumbs up.

She tilted her head but said nothing more.

Soon though, she does break the silence. "I'm Alannah, by the way."

"Uh, Karma." I was so happy that the fake name came out without much stutter or error.

I take in a deep breath, enjoying the lightness and clean air surrounding me. It felt so... nice. Like I've never properly breathed in ages. Was the dead weight of my rainclouds that heavy? It really must have been suffocating me. I mean, I guess it was... since I went to such drastic measures. Since I had eventually decided that the best way to relieve myself and others was to—

Hera plopped two bowls down on the table, interrupting my thoughts. They were filled with a steaming, colourless oatmeal. It was sprinkled with brown sugar and some berries. It looked very appetizing to say the least. The sudden pit in my stomach and lightness of my head was a tell of how hungry I was.

My head turns to Hera, she was smoothing out the crinkles from her white dress before sitting down at the head of the table. Her pale blue gaze matched my confusion. She gestures to the bowl.

"Eat," she says politely, but with a tone that made it seem like it was absurd that I didn't start downing the food right away. "You must be hungry after all your travel and recovery."

I look down at the sustenance. For a moment I questioned whether or not I deserved it. But then I think about everything I've been through, the slight confidence I've gained came back, and I felt worthful.

... But I still don't pick up the spoon.

"What about Locus?" I ask, almost fumbling to remember Zero's fake alias he was going by.

"I have some leftover for him when he wakes, dear." Dear? Why is she talking like that? "No need to fret."

I slowly pick up the wooden spoon and scoop it into the sweet-smelling substance. I look up at Hera, as if I was eating incorrectly. She gives me a confused look, but it turns into an encouraging smile. My focus moves to Alannah, she was staring back at me in between portions.

I force my eyes down to the table and lift the food to my mouth. My taste buds are instantly washed over with a wave of pleasant sweetness. And yet, somehow, it wasn't overpowering. It was perfect. As a person who hasn't really been into eating unhealthily, a habit of being in the military I suppose, this was the flawless balance of sugar and diet.

We all eat in silence for a few moments. Even though I ate slow, the bowl emptied before I could realize. I had a longing to eat more, but that would be selfish and make me seem like a slob. Besides, some needs to be left for Zero to enjoy too.

I push it away, looking to Hera. "Thanks... uh, do you need help cleaning up, or...?" I offer assistance, feeling like I should make up for eating her food. Hera shakes her head though.

"No, no need. You go on and check on your friend."

"Okay. Thanks again," I sit up, giving a terse nod to Alannah before reversing my steps back to the room Zero was sleeping in.