Chapter 9 ~ Alive

It's all a haze. And yet, it's never been so clear before. Everything felt so... light. As if I've been liberated from a great weight. It didn't suffocate my soul with every breath. I felt... alive. Like I've never breathed before in my life. It felt so easy, like each lung full was no longer used to fuel my wildfire of guilt. I felt... like I was thriving.

   My eyes flicker open. A vine covered stone ceiling was what met my sight. Beautiful bright pink flowers bloomed from them; the centers had a white pattern then vibrant yellow pollen. It was so... lovely. I might have smiled if I didn't recall what had happened.

   I abruptly sit up, whirling my head around. I was in a cozy room, there was a large window out at the wall at the end of my bed. Light poured in through the glass. How long was I out? I wonder for a short moment before my eyes settle on the bed on the opposite side of me. Zero was laying in the cot.

   I lurch out of bed. My feet weren't on board with my mind's plans yet and they fail, I was on my knees in seconds. I crawl to Zero's bedside, looking over him to make sure he was fine. Zero still had his cloak on, I didn't.

   I should've been stressed, worrying that the townsfolk may have discovered the Ruby imbedded inside Zero's chest. But I wasn't. My body wouldn't allow it. It was so abnormal... and yet I didn't want it to go away. I've never felt this... alive.

   All I could seem to process was how at peace Zero seemed.

   "You two have been resting for quite a while," a soft voice says. I turn around, to face the doorway to the room. It was Hera. "It seems like you both have been carrying around a great weight, and being freed from it allowed your body to be at ease."

   I didn't understand what Hera meant. "Wh-what did you do? What do you mean?!" I demanded, getting to my feet before staring at my hands in horror. "D-did I do drugs?"

   Hera chuckled. I stare back up at her. She smiles warmly.

   "No, dear. It was simply some herbs. When burned and the smoke is inhaled, it will clear stress and anxiety. It brings... peace, I suppose you could say."

   "So... I did drugs," I blurt. I have never done it, but this sounds a lot like the effects of some substances. A part of me felt horror that this had happened.

   "No," Hera shakes her head. "Well... the effects are similar... Fine, if it's easier for you to understand, call it that." Hera walks into the room, moving closer to Zero's side.

   I stand before her, trying to block her from reaching him. I didn't want Hera to accidentally discover that Zero is Infinite. It's a miracle she hasn't found out yet. Unless she's covering up the fact. But if that's the case, what is she gaining? Time? Time to gain as the Resistance finds this village and pries us apart while they demand the answer to whether or not I've lost my mind?

   I don't even know. For such a lively old hare, she seemed... secretive.

   Hera reaches out to touch the back of her hand to Zero's head. I forced myself not to give into the sudden impulse to smack her hand away and stood stiffly.

   "As I said before, when the stress is cleared, the patient feels a sudden ease and tranquility, they explain it as if 'a weight was lifted'." Hera's description seemed very accurate to what I experienced. "After, they feel light, calm, perhaps tired in cases like yours."

   Hera finally removes her hand from Zero's forehead. "It seems you both have been carrying around a large burden," her old weary faded eyes look to me, serious. The soft blue had an understanding to them. "For quite a long time it seems." The old woman takes my hand in her own, I didn't snatch it back for some reason. "I don't expect either of you to share your story with me, although I will listen with open ears if you decide to, just please do this for me alright? You are good friends with this man as I can tell, he has an impulse to protect you..."