Vice Captain

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: VICE CAPTAIN

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

"Rin-chan!"

Rin grunted from the impact of the tall male flinging his arms around her body, her head was pressed up against his chest while he had his arms wove themselves around her head - immobilizing her. The male shook her back and forth, causing her expression to quickly fade from shock to annoyance. She could feel him raise a hand to ruffle her hair, causing her to finally decide it was time to wiggle free.

"Oi! Hana - Hanataro, let go!"

Rin pushed her hands against his chest and pushed away from him, quickly patting down her, now, messy hair. Hanataro took a step back, allowing Rin to get a good look at him. He was taller than before, standing a good 10 cm above her - making him around 190 cm tall.

Tsubaki Hanataro was the definition of tall and handsome. His blond hair stuck up messily in every direction - but seemed to look perfectly in place at the same time - two green clips rested parallel just above his pierced right ear. His eyes were a dark forest green, and the small beauty mark on his jaw was something all of the girls loved to talk about in middle school.

"It's been so long since I've seen you, Rin-chan!" Hana beamed, grabbing Rin by her shoulders and shaking her back and forth again and Rin's annoyance grew with every word that left his mouth, "I stayed up crying for days because my dear Captain just disappeared after our match! We went to see you but you were sleeping most of the time and eventually Dai-kun said you didn't want anyone visiting! Do you know how annoying everyone was without you keeping them in line?! It was horrible! And then that other shithead, Ko-kun took over as Captain and Aiko became Vice Captain! Do you know how obnoxious that was?! I missed my charming, sweet, smart, wolfish -"

Rin interrupted the blond by placing her palm on his face, pushing him away from her, "Shut up, Hana. Can't you be serious, for once?"

The childish grin from Hanataro's face faded into a sly smirk, his eyes narrowing slightly as he looked over Rin's shoulder to glance at the team that stood not too far behind her. He tilted his head, his tongue running across his lips before he spoke. He voice was low and smooth, but the threatening undertone was easy to detect, "Aaah, don't tell me you're from Nekoma High School, Rin-chan?"

Rin's brows furrowed in confusion before she glanced at the name stitched on Hanataro's jacket.

Kuzuryu High School Volleyball Team. Vice Captain.

"I'd hate to think that our reunion would be so unfortunate," Hanataro pouted, crossing his arms over his chest and letting his finger brush his lips. He looked Rin once over, his eyes - not so subtly - looking at Rin from head to toe, "It'd be a shame to lose, neh, manager?"

"It's only unfortunate for you, Hana. Honestly, Vice Captain? You seem a little lazy for that," Rin shrugged her shoulders, crossing her arms over her chest - her voice was challenging and she kept steady eye contact with the blond, "I never thought I'd see the day where you did something productive."

"Thats the Rin-chan I knew, sassy as always!" Hanataro grinned, unzipping his jacket and tossing it dramatically towards the bench where his teammates were watching.

Rin flinched when a cluster of feminine screams met her ears, and she immediately looked up to see a brigade of high school girls - all of them calling out various good lucks and other phrases toward 'Hana-kun'. Rin looked at the blond with a deadpanned expression as he waved at the girls happily, their serious moment gone and forgotten. Much to her disdain.