eight: love

EIGHT: love los angeles, 1990's

EIGHT: love
los angeles, 1990's

FOURTHGRADE AWOKE with a startled gasp. the first thing his eyes flickered to was the empty space next to him where the girl had once been sleeping at. "rosy?" he called out to the quiet room, the only light coming in was from the early morning sunrise.

when he received no response he placed his bare feet on the cold floor and rose from the couch. he wandered to the back of the shop, hoping the girl would be somewhere there. but to no luck did he find her. his heart began beating as he remembered what had happened the night before. he held his head in his hands as he prayed that maybe what happened didn't really happen, that maybe he had just dreamt it.

but as he looked in the mirror and observed the fresh bruises that littered his neck he knew there was no way he had just dreamt it.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

rosy paced nate's room as tears threatened to spill from her eyes. "adriana, please calm down." nate begged from his bed as he watched the fearful girl. when he noticed she wasn't calming down he stood and stopped her by pulling her into his chest.

"tell me what happened." he muttered into the girl's ear as she clung onto his body. "nate i-i didn't mean for it to happen. it just happened and we-" the girl said before she paused, not knowing what to say. "adriana, what happened?" he asked. she stayed silent for a second before she spoke, "we kissed but it wasn't just a kiss we did more. at least i think? we were both drunk and i-i don't know nate!" she explained, refusing to meet his eyes.

nate was hurt by her words. she didn't need to even say his name because he automatically knew who. he knew since the day she went to him for weed and he was trailing behind her with his friends that it was him. he remembered his expression when the two talked and he remembered his hand on her back as they walked out of the skatepark. he knew she was talking about the boy with the faded pink hair.

he was at a loss of words as the girl begged him to say something. "nate please. say something." she said one last time before the boy spoke.

"i still have feelings for you."

we're the last words the girl wanted to hear but they were the words she heard as nate spoke. silence followed after his words before rosy pulled out of his grasp. she didn't want to pull away and felt bad for pulling away but knew it's what she had to do. she looked up at him and that's when he noticed the tears had already fallen down her cheeks.

now it was nate's turn to beg her to speak. "adriana please. say something. anything. be mad, hate me, yell at me, just say something!
p-please." he begged, on the verge of tears himself. as adriana looked into his eyes she remembered every word the two had exchanged with each other, everything they had done with each other.