Chapter 3: The Only One

Emerson's POV

Our mother informed us that father wouldn't be back for another couple of days, so that gave us some time to make a plan to get started on our band. We had to decide who was going to be what in the band. Sebastian decided he wanted to learn to play the guitar, which we thought suited him perfectly. I claimed the drums, but Remington wanted them, too. We kinda fought over it and it got so bad, our mother intervened. "What's going on? Why are you arguing over who's going to play the drums?" We got scared as we realized she was listening in on us for a while. We didn't say anything in hopes she wouldn't suspect anything. Our mother, though, was not easy to fool. The next words she said made our veins cold. "Are you boys starting a band?"

We were petrified in that moment, and didn't want to lie to our mother. Sebastian nodded quietly, taking the fall for us. I was on the verge of crying when she spoke again. "Well, if you're going to start a band, you're going to need a manager." We then looked at her in confusion. "A manager?", Remington asked with curiosity in his tone. "Yes, a manager. Someone to make sure everything is taken care of for you, and doesn't let anything go wrong. No one is more qualified than your mother who knows you boys better than anyone." We were dumbfounded in that moment. Was our mother messing with us or was she serious? Our question was answered when she said, "Don't you boys trust me to manage your new band?" I spoke out then, "NO, NO! WE WOULDN'T TRUST ANYONE ELSE EVER!" Sebastian and Remington turned to me in surprise. "It's just," I continued, "are you serious about you being okay with us forming a band, and you being our manager? We didn't want to upset or make you disappointed in us."

She started stroking my hair, and laid a hand on Sebastian's shoulder. "Ever since you were born, I had a feeling in my heart that you boys had this special passion for an art, such as music. I wanted this passion to grow so when all of you were ready, I let you take piano lessons so you would have a feel for playing music. I understood you're father wouldn't approve you of focusing on anything that isn't involved in royalty, so I convinced him it would help you become more refined and intelligent. But, I could see in your faces that you grew to love it and would eventually want to pursue it further. I have been waiting for the day when you'd realize that you want to spend the rest of your life making and playing music." As much as her statement moved us, Sebastian asked the question I knew he would as a cautious person. "What about father? What are we going to say if he finds out?" She smiled and laid her hand on his cheek, "I will deal with your father. We will work something out so you get to live your dream and still make your father happy."

I couldn't stop the tears that were streaming down my face. I went in to give her a tight hug. My brothers joined in. "I love you, Mom", Remington said through his tears. She hugged us back so tightly and I hoped she wouldn't ever let go.

Remington's POV

So, the first order of business with our mom as our manager, was that I should sing lead while Emerson plays the drums. I guess that decision rooted from how well I sang when we used to have choir practice in school, and everyone in my group always told me how amazing and powerful my voice was. I thought they were just being nice, because I never tried to sing over anyone. Also, I never looked like I was freaking out with stage fright because I had a bunch of people with me, but I think my worst fear has been realized.

"Um, Mom? I know I may be a great singer, but I'm really not comfortable singing by myself in front of a large crowd." She giggled a little, and Sebastian and Emerson were laughing under their breath. "Remington, I know it may seem scary to you," she said with a soothing tone to help me feel relaxed. "But it's only going to be scary the first time, and after that, you'll never want to leave that stage. And, besides, you won't be alone. Your brother's will be right there on the stage playing with you, as well as the dozens of people who will be so happy to see you." I wished her words could make me feel better, but I was still scared out of my mind. "How about this?", she held my hand. "Do this only once and if you don't like it, we'll pick someone else to sing lead. Deal?" She held out her other hand for me to shake it. I looked at Sebastian and Emerson who gave me confident smiles that told me to take a leap of faith. Then, I looked back at our mother, took a deep breath, and shook her hand. "Deal."

It took about a week to learn one song we created with a couple of my friends, and people they knew like Kim, Ryan, and Trin who had experience with writing lyrics and music. Then it took 3 more days to learn how to play the song, especially since it was Sebastian's and Emerson's first time playing a new instrument. We weren't sure why our father hadn't been back yet, but we took advantage of his absence as much as we could without hesitation. Our mother had booked us our very first show at our high school, which made even more nervous now. Those kids have known me for a long time, and they don't think much of me, despite my status. Maybe this will be the perfect opportunity to show them I can amount to something much more.

Sebastian's POV

It was the night of our very first concert, and we were all nervous, but I think Remington was the most scared of all of us. How do I know? Well, ten minutes before we were supposed to go on stage, he was nowhere to be found. I asked Emerson where he might be, and he said he last saw Remington head to the men's room. When we got there, we heard crying. Me and Emerson stood out the door and knocked. "Rem, are you alright?" He spike through his stifled sobs, "I can't do this, I'm sorry." I looked at Emerson, signaling him to try to help. He caught on and spoke to Remington through the door. "Rem, I'm sorry I was picked to play the drums. I know you wanted it too. But, I believe mother is right that you can do this."

"I'm scared, too", he continued, "we all are, but I believe we were destined to play music for people like us, who thrive off of music, and want a sense of freedom when hearing or playing it. You have a sort of passion inside of you, Rem, that is waiting to come out and show the world what you're capable of." I heard him stop crying a little, and so I finished us off. "No matter what happens to us tonight, whether we make it or break it, we will always have your back and will never leave you feeling alone or unworthy of great things." After a moment, we heard the doorknob unlock and saw it turn. Then, Remington stepped out wiping the last bit of tears on his face. Then he made a goofy smile and said "Let's fucking do this!"

Our mother introduced us as Kropp Circle, and the rest of the night was like a dream that was amazing to experience, but hard to remember. A few things I did remember was the crowd going crazy for us after we finished playing, our mother looking like the proudest woman in the world, and Remington talking non-stop about performing live for the first time and how he couldn't wait to do it again. The intense feeling of euphoria lasted until our father came back the next morning.

AAAHHH! This took forever to write, but I hope it was still good enough. Updates for this story will be slow due to me being back in school, and having to manage my time better. I hope you can be patient with me as I do intend to complete this beautiful story for you all. I love you all so much, and I can't wait to start on the next part.💗💗💗