Professor Knowles.

August 28, 2018
Bey's POV

*Ring, ring, ring*

I quickly wake up from my light sleep to the alarm clock on my iPhone XS Max. Rotating my body towards the nightstand, I reached the stop button on the alarm. I slowly sat up on the edge of the bed. I got little to no sleep last night, tossing and turning every 15 minutes due to my anxiousness, but luckily, my body's adrenaline-fueled me, and I didn't feel sleepy. I said my usual morning prayer and dressed in my bathroom.

Today is the day I start my dream job. Ever since I was a little girl, I would line my baby dolls up and act like a teacher, making complete lesson plans, distributing homework, and yelling at the dolls if they got out of line.

I worked so hard to get here. I went to college at the University of Houston, earned my education degree, and soon afterward received my master's. I started as a middle school teacher in Louisiana and worked my way up to teaching seniors in high school. A former colleague of mine mentioned that there were some openings at nearby colleges. I hesitated to apply —thinking that my credentials weren't appeasing enough for the position, but I decided to take a chance on myself. Four harrowing interviews later, I was offered a full-time history professor position at Southern University.

I was given a university tour a few weeks ago and could move into my new, spacious office. I would start teaching two different history courses for the Fall semester. Once I become more acclimated to the position, I will add more classes to my schedule. Even though I'm highly ambitious, I was cautious not to overwork myself. I met some incredible professors in the history department during Professional Development Week. Eve, Monty, Tamara, Cecil, and I all bonded. We promised to collaborate throughout the semester and hang out off campus when our schedules were free.

We already scheduled a lunch date today at 1 pm, which I look forward to.

It was hot outside, and I wanted to dress in something that would make me comfortable throughout the day. So, I decided to go with this candy red, sleeveless, knee-length dress with my hair swooped to the side, some tight curls, a natural makeup look, and a pop from my gold rhinestone heels.

I checked myself in the mirror, conscious of my appearance

I checked myself in the mirror, conscious of my appearance. I wanted to impress my new students, who are now full-blown adults of all ages because I know just how important first impressions are when teaching a class. Once satisfied, I grabbed my belongings and headed to my all-black Range Rover.

I snatch a quick breakfast from Chick-fil-A and head to campus early. I needed to email all of my students as soon as I arrived to inform them that there was a change in the location of their class. A few days ago, I checked out the room I would teach to familiarize myself with the layout and equipment. I wasn't feeling it. So, I requested the Dean, who graciously gave me a lovely, spacious, yet intimate classroom at the end of the hallway. This classroom had better lighting, two giant projector screens, and a smart board in the middle.