Shift.

Jay's POV

I sat on Bey's sofa, watching ESPN while I waited for her to arrive. Thirty minutes later, I heard her car pull up in the driveway. I took a deep breath, hoping she was much calmer than on the phone. A few minutes later, the front door knob turned, and in walked Bey. Our eyes met, and tears began to fall from her face. That was the most fragile I've ever seen her. I could tell that she was crying almost the whole way home. Her eyes were plump and red, and mascara was smeared.

As she closed the door, I got up from the sofa and walked towards her. She turned around, and we immediately embraced one another. She cried so desperately in my arms. We didn't say a word. We were clinging onto one another. I tried to console her by gently rubbing her back and stroking her cheek.

"What is going through your head right now? Talk to me, babe," I asked while our foreheads stayed glued together.

"Everything is going through my head, Jay!" Bey cried.

"Well, let's talk about it. Tell me everything!" I replied, guiding her towards the sofa with me. She sat on my lap and began to recount what happened.

"I went over therethinking that after a long day at work, I could relax and hang out with my friends. I didn't get good vibes from the jump, especially from Tamara and Monty. I didn't think more of it, though. We were having normal conversations at first. Eve asked me about the DC trip. Then Tamara made a slick comment saying, 'Is Jay going with you?' Like, what the fuck? That's when shit exploded.

She blasted me and told Eve and Cecil that you and I were messing with each other. She said I was your sugar mama and a slut. I could no longer take her slander, so I fucked her up. Monty knew he was the one who told her, and he kept looking at me, ashamed. I wish I would have beaten his ass, too, and Eve tried to diffuse the situation. She even swayed Tamara into an apology, but I left. I was so embarrassed! I didn't want this to happen..." Bey spoke candidly.

"I'm so sorry this happened, Bey! I wish I were there to defend you and protect you. That's not right for them to gang up on you like that. But it's cool, though, because they were never your friend but an enemy in my eye. You don't need them in your life anyway." I responded, pecking her lips softly. Bey was unaltered by my attempt to alleviate her anger.

"Jay, I don't think you understand the magnitude of what happened. I'm hurt that I lost some friendships, but I know I can overcome that. I cannot afford to lose my job and ruin my entire reputation as an educator." Bey snapped.

"Well, we both knew the risk we took being together. It's not just you whose life could change!" I spat back. She quickly got up off of my lap and towered over me.

"I'm so fucking stupid for even putting myself in this position," She criticizes herself, turning on her heels and walking up the stairs. I chase behind her, grabbing her hand forcefully to turn her around.

"Bey, I'm gonna fix this, so don't be talkin' like that!" I told her sternly.

"How are you going to fix it? Huh?" Bey questioned, snatching her hand from my grasp.

"You'll see soon, aight? Soon." I spoke softly with a pleading tone.

"Oh, please! I'm done." Bey sucked her teeth, swinging back around to walk up the stairs again.