Chapter 2

The Los Angeles Institute

"Tyyyyyyyy-Tyyyyyyyyyy!!" Dru yelled, although she was inches away from Ty's face. Ty had held onto his own arm forcefully enough to make it bleed, and the white covers of his bed were most likely stained with blood. He was still crying from what happened a few minutes ago, but maybe he deserved it. Maybe this was what Livvy had meant. Ty wasn't good enough for Kit. "Yes, Dru?" Ty said, staring at the floor the whole time, while one hand was holding his arm tightly and the other was opening and closing rapidly. "Kit misses you." Dru said, making her voice sound as serious as possible. Ty thought back to the night everything went wrong. Kit warned him, but Ty was so ripped apart by his emotions that nothing mattered except Livvy. The way the fire burned, the way the air smelled, and the way the water looked. It was all the reason he couldn't sleep at night anymore. The way Kit had been acting lately, though, was surely for a different reason rather than the fact that Ty ignored him. He had a strange way of seeing things, and he knew he was different. He felt as if he had done something bad to Kit. He hurt Kit, even. Ty wished he could know what he did, so he could fix it. It was currently 3:29AM. Dru and Ty were the only ones awake, and Ty had only recently gotten off of the phone. Dru had snuck Emma's phone from her room, though it was a tricky task, because Emma and Julian were in there. Dru called Kit until he answered, and gave the phone to Ty, only for Ty to find out that Kit was busy. Ty's vision was blurred, and he had a headache. With all effort he could manage, Ty smiled at the ground and said "I know. One day, he'll be back. Hopefully." Ty's hand absentmindedly wandered to Kit's copy of a Sherlock Holmes book on his nightstand. He kept it there because he had thought it would keep away his night terrors, but it wasn't working. Ty decided to try to sleep all of it off. "I'm going to go back to sleep," Ty said. "You should, too."

"Okay, Ty-Ty. Call my phone if you need anything."

And with that, Dru walked out of the room. Ty grabbed his headphones and played the music that helped him calm himself down. He let himself fall back into his bed, his hair falling over his face and all around his head. Ty stared at the ceiling decorated with stars. He started whispering the same words to himself over and over again. Glass. Twin. Apple. Whisper. Stars. Crystal. Shadow. Lilt. He fell into a restless sleep quite quickly.

Ty was standing in a long corridor, with only one way to get out, which was forwards. He couldn't see the end of the passage, but knew it had to be near. The walls looked shiny, like they were covered in puddles. Ty touched one of the walls, and they were indeed liquid. Ty slowly pulled his hand back from the puddle to see that the finger he touched the wall with was covered in black lines now, and the reflections on the walls changed. There was Livvy in the reflection, standing right next to him, holding a gleaming silver object up to her own throat. Ty looked to his right to find that Livvy was there. Ty reached out for the sword at her throat, but his hand went straight through her. "Livvy, no. No. No." Ty breathed, and saw the red liquid slowly sliding down Livvy's throat. "LIVVY!!" Ty yelled, running straight through her and collapsing on the ground. Just then, a voice echoed in the room. No. Not the room. In his mind.
"Tiberius Nero Blackthorn, Son and Necromancer of Thorns. Welcome to the Corridor. Enjoy your everlasting stay."

"How do I get out of here?!" Ty practically screamed. "I can't keep watching everyone I love die!"
No answer.

"Ty-Ty." Tavvy said, appearing at Ty's side. Tavvy's brown hair was cut shorter and nicer looking, but that wasn't the only difference. Time didn't exist here. Everything grew older all at once, yet not a single second ticked on the clock. Livvy was on the ground, still bleeding out slowly from her neck. Ty looked quickly at Tavvy's eyes. Wait. His eyes. They were black. Just Tavvy's eyes. "Where were you these past eight years, Ty...?" Tavvy innocently asked. "You're fifteen." Ty whispered to himself. Tavvy walked over to Livvy's body and kicked it into the liquid walls. A bloody, black hand reached out and dragged the body into the wall by it's hand. Tavvy laughed a non-Tavvy-like laugh. "Poor, pathetic Livia." He said.
"Ave atque vale, Livia Blackthorn." Ty said. A gentle hand touched his shoulder, and another voice spoke. "No need, my little Ty. The Angel's dead. And so are we. All except you and this pretty little blond boy all the way at the other end of this corridor."
"Julian." Ty said, and looked quickly up. He looked long enough to see Julian smile at him, a smile full of malevolent plans. His endlessly black eyes stared into Ty's soul, and Ty hurriedly looked away. Ty ran. He ran as fast as his feet would take him. Down the hall, towards the moving blur of gold at the other end. His undead family was chasing him, but they weren't quite as fast as he was. Ty noticed from the walls reflecting that his whole family was there, plus more. Hypatia Vex, Ragnor Fell, his dad, Diana, Clary, and Jace had joined his family. Ty stopped suddenly, turning around. He had reached Kit, and Kit ran to kneel on the ground a few feet before Ty. He was facing towards the undead, his hands on the ground. A transparent but golden wall came up between them and Ty's family. Kit lifted his gold-stained hands off of the ground and ran towards Ty. "Are you real, is this another illusion?" Kit demanded, tears staining his face, his eyes highly serious. "Kit. It's me, It's Ty." Ty said while looking at the ground. Ty jumped a bit in surprise when Kit held both of Ty's hands in his hands. "I miss you." He said.
"I miss you too, Kit." Ty said.
"You need to know that whatever I do, I will not leave you. Tiberius Blackthorn, I-" Kit started before his eyes widened in surprise, his hands lost grip, and he fell to the floor. A blade protruded from his chest. Zara Dearborn stood looking down at the dead body with a delirious smile on her face. She looked at Ty and started wildly laughing, each burst of laughter mixed with blood. Ty screamed. A scream of pain, of anger and despair. A scream of pure terror. A scream of sadness ripping at his insides. A scream that made the world go back around him.