Chapter 4

Kit was impatiently waiting for Tessa to make the portal she promised she would make soon. He had gathered all of his things while on the phone with Ty. Jem and Tessa told Kit that he and Ty had been in Bangkok for six months. They hadn't been in Bangkok, that much was true. The time that Kit was running down the corridor in his nightmare felt like such a long amount of time. He needed a haircut. Kit impatiently pushed his hair out of his face and started tapping his foot to the rhythm of one of his favorite songs. It was one of his favorite songs because Kit felt it described him quite well, and because it actually made sense. It was probably weird for shadowhunters to like music artists such as Cavetown, but Kit didn't care what others thought about him. Unless it was the Blackthorns or Carstairs. Tessa came rushing in and repeatedly apologized for taking so long. Jem calmly walked in with the grace a Silent Brother would have. "I have hopes that we might see each other again, Kit. Thank you for staying here with us. We have enjoyed it." He said. "And thank you for being ever so patient, Kit. I look forwards to me and Jem's daughter meeting you." Tessa said. Kit shook hands with Tessa and Jem, and heard Jem whisper to Tessa something that sounded like 'so much life dillium airdale' Kit had idea who or what dillium airdale was, but he shrugged it off. He was going to Los Angeles. He would resolve everything with everyone there. Including Ty. Tessa started making the portal, and Kit picked up his duffel bag. Once Tessa was done doing the warlock hand waving magic, Kit stepped the portal. The feeling of traveling through a portal was quite nauseating. There was a whirlwind of light, and darkness. Everything seemed to go in slow motion, and then Kit was on his elbows and knees in front of the LA Institute. He got up, feeling the most panic he had felt since his dad had died. Kit corrected his posture and walked up to the door of the Institute. He placed his hand on the door, and it swung open under his touch. Kit heard footsteps, then a girl was pulling him into a hug. Kit smiled at Dru. "We missed you." She said quietly. "I missed you, too." Kit said, then decided to toughen up and get this over with. "I need to talk to Ty." He said, and quickly walked down to Ty's room, not even bothering to put his bag down. Kit knocked on the door, and there was a rustling and a click, and the door was opened to reveal Ty, looking worse than ever with dark circles under his eyes, speaking of which, his gray eyes were deep grey and glossy from crying. Ty sucked in a quick breath. "Kit." He exhaled. "Ty." Kit said, trying to seem composed. Oh, screw it, Kit thought, and pulled Ty into a tight hug. Ty hugged him back, and started whispering Kit's name over and over. "I really don't want to say this," Kit said, while still hugging Ty. "But you remember the night, you said... you said she was all you had. There would be nothing without her.." Kit's voice was shaking. "Are we still friends?" Kit finally asked. Ty seemed to rip out of the hug, like a hostage ripping free from its confinement. He grabbed Kit by the shoulders and look him straight in the eye. This definitely was not like Ty. "Friends? We're dying and you ask if we're friends?" Ty demanded. "Christopher Herondale! I've wanted to be your friend since the day I met you," He said, running out of breath. A flicker of pain crossed Ty's face but was quickly covered up. He looked down at his feet. "Kit. I need you. I lo- no. You're my best friend, you're my Watson. I just wish we were more than... never mind." He said, hesitating at the last few words. "Ty. Promise me you're okay." Kit said. Ty shook his head and looked up, his eyes darting from place to place, mainly to avoid eye contact with Kit. "I can't.." Ty whispered. "How would I be okay.. if.. if you- if I- if we were dying?" Ty struggled to say, before sliding down the wall. "We're dying." Ty breathed. "We're dying together, Ty." Kit said, sitting next to Ty on the floor. He held Ty's shaking hands in his own. "We'll make it through this. I promise. Together?" Kit asked, expecting no answer. "Together." Ty said, and lifted his head to look up at Kit. Some of his ebony hair fell in front of his eyes, and Kit absentmindedly removes one of his hands from Ty's to tuck his hair back in place. Ty smiled his rare, happy smile. "Will you be my Watson?" Ty asked, curiosity clear on his face. His constantly dense eyes were vulnerable. Kit could really stare into his mysterious eyes all day. "Only if you'll be my Sherlock." Kit said, smiling at Ty. Suddenly, Ty stood up. "C'mon, Kit. Let's walk at the beach." He said. Kit nodded and followed Ty, their hands interlocked only until they got into the entrance room of the Institute, where everyone was. Ty and Kit quickly pulled their hands apart so nobody assumed anything. As far as Ty knew, Kit wasn't.. wasn't like Ty was. Ty wasn't interested in girls. They never seemed interesting, there was nothing about them that was so great, after all. Boys, on the other hand.. that was a different story.  But there was no way Ty liked Kit. Ty wanted to go to the Scholomance. He also wanted to be Kit's protector, his warrior brother. He wanted to be his parabatai. No way Kit would want that. While still in the sand, Ty spotted a crab crawling quickly across the sand. He gasped and ran to it, and kneeled down in front of it's path. It came running into his hand, while the other hand was searching for any food he could give the crab. What a great quality to have, Kit thought. He walked towards the ocean, leaving Ty in the sand not too far away with his new crab friend. He looked out at the people in the ocean. All of the couples out there. Mundanes has the freedom to be whoever they wanted to be. Shadowhunters were immediately disgraces if they liked one of their own gender, especially if they liked one of their own gender that belonged to a highly respected shadowhunter family. The sun was going down, but it would have already been down where he was. Kit was six hours ahead of Ty in England. The sun was setting over the ocean, which was beautiful to Kit. Something made contact with the left side of Kit's body, and Ty appeared without the crab but with a ladybug crawling on his arm. But Ty was staring at the sunset. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" Ty asked. It was beautiful. Beautiful in the way that left people speechless. "It's the second most beautiful thing I've ever seen." Kit said, picking his words carefully, hoping Ty wouldn't ask any questions. But he did. "What's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?" Ty asked. "Oh, nothing." Kit responded. "The most beautiful thing I've seen is the sky on a clear, starry night... well, that's one of them." Ty said shyly, thinking Kit would judge him for it. "Remember the day you held a knife to my throat?" Kit asked, knowing Ty would remember it. "I'm sorry, I didn't know what you were going to do!" Ty rushed to say, pleading that Kit wouldn't be mad at him. "That's not what I was going to say, I was going to tell you that I will never forget that day. I was so lucky to meet you." Kit explained. Ty's face turned a medium shade of red, and he timidly looked at the sand. I love you, Kit wanted to say, but knew he couldn't. Instead, he looked at his hand and smiled sadly. All of his fingers were midnight black. It would be okay. Kit and Ty were going to make it through this. Together. Not quite unstoppable, but not quite stoppable. That's how Kit thought of it. He wrote a heart in the sand and watched calmly as the high tide washed it away, not quite touching Ty and Kit, but very close. I love you. I love you. I love you.

(This isn't part of the story, but hi! It's me, not saying my real name but hi. I have quite a bit of free time and I'm also [im]patiently waiting for someone to publish the next part of their story, so I release chapters at random times, mostly within five or six days of the recent chapter's release, but goodbye :) )